• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The child I want to adopt is in another state's custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lyramommy

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Colorado (me), Texas (child).
My sister has lost all rights to my nephew. We have went through the Interstate Compact investigation. Colorado feels that it would be a good placement; however Texas is denying me because of something I did when I was 19 years old. I am now 27 and have a family of my own. I am willing to do anything to prove that I am now a law abiding citizen. I plan on adopting him and have been since before he was ever taken by social services because my sister is sick. I don't know if anyone can help. I just need to know how to appeal this. If anyone can help I would appreciate it greatly.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You should likely involve a lawyer, but it's entirely possible that there's little you can do.

momofrose

I am going through the same thing..though we are still searching to adopt a child. But the agency I am working with told me about the Interstate Compact agreement...Texas is one of THE hardest states (if not the hardest) to adopt from...you can appeal to the judge..but you need a really strong attorney.

Best of luck to you...

"D"

lyramommy

Thanks for your support. We've just found an attorney that will take the case,that was a chore in and of itself. Most lawyers didn't even want to touch the case. Good luck to you too "D"
:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">