• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Best way to disolve co-ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dvh

My ex-partner and I bought a home together three years ago and a year ago we seperated. I left and let her keep the house but the mortgage is still in both our names. The property is FHA assumable and I was wondering what would be the most advisable way to get my name off the mortgage? Thanks.

D

David J. Miller

Depending on how the interest rate compares to current market rates, your partner could do a straight refinance or since it's FHA, she could request an assumption package from the mortgage company and assume the loan. In either case, since the partner would have to fully qualify, you'd be released from liability. It becomes a little more complicated if you plan to be "bought" out. Then the parnter would need a cash-out refinance and their are Loan-to-value limitations but it could still be done, assuming the partner qualifies. Contact a mortgage lender in your area and find out what the rates are and go from there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">