• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resident manager stalking me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nkgibbs

The resident manager in my apartment building has been stalking me for three months. He has followed me upon exiting the building upwards of forty times, staged an event to determine what apartment I live in (he just started in June) and has entered my apartment without my permission, at least twice. Nothing has been stolen from my apartment (that I know of), but my wellbeing has been compromised, and my life and property may be in danger. Based on an investigation that a security company is conducting for me, they believe that audio and or video equipment was placed in my aparment (we don't have any proof of this to date) I have reported the series of events to the police department and they are conducting an investigation as well. I also sent a letter to the property management company which detailed this information. I found out on Friday that my neighbor actually caught him in her apartment without her permission, and that he made up a story about why he was there (his story has many holes in it) and although she notified the property management company of this, they did nothing. Do I have a case of negligence against them? I believe that my wellbeing, my property and my life have been placed at risk.

N

nkgibbs

Addendum: I live in Washington DC. Also, what kind of an attorney do I need?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nkgibbs:
The resident manager in my apartment building has been stalking me for three months. He has followed me upon exiting the building upwards of forty times, staged an event to determine what apartment I live in (he just started in June) and has entered my apartment without my permission, at least twice. Nothing has been stolen from my apartment (that I know of), but my wellbeing has been compromised, and my life and property may be in danger. Based on an investigation that a security company is conducting for me, they believe that audio and or video equipment was placed in my aparment (we don't have any proof of this to date) I have reported the series of events to the police department and they are conducting an investigation as well. I also sent a letter to the property management company which detailed this information. I found out on Friday that my neighbor actually caught him in her apartment without her permission, and that he made up a story about why he was there (his story has many holes in it) and although she notified the property management company of this, they did nothing. Do I have a case of negligence against them? I believe that my wellbeing, my property and my life have been placed at risk.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

C

cdcard

Dear nkgibbs:
Yikes! This guy is bold enough to make me wonder if he isn't also dangerous. Although I don't know WA D.C. law as well as I know Calif law, manager's actions probably warrant a restraining order. (Most jurisdictions have laws against stalking). In addition, many jurisdictions have laws in their landlord-tenant code making his unauthorized entry into your apartment illegal; WA DC may have such a law. In addition, the property management company and the apartment owner are probably liable for negligent hiring; how did this guy get through their internal investigation?! Although the police investigation may result in a recommendation to the DA's office for criminal prosecution and the DA's office may get a conviction on that, you should also have civil remedies available to you. Many jurisdictions provide for restitution to the victim upon criminal prosecution; if WA DC allows for this, you may just want to take the restitution (depending on how much it is). Your situation is definitely worth talking to a local attorney about; that attorney will know more about your local laws than I. The type of attorney you want is one who practices general law (some are called personal injury attorneys, others civil litigators). I strongly recommend quick action, especially on the restraining order; this guy may be dangerous. Best of luck to you.
cdcard

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">