• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

house built w/o appropriate permit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

csn

I am looking at a home that was remodeled by the current owner. During the remodel, the square footage was expanded. When attempting to get a permit for the remodel, the owner was told that he'd need to run another septic line into the home to accommodate the additional square footage. Well, the owner went ahead and remodeled and expanded the square footage without getting a permit or adding the additional septic line. The home seems very well priced because of this. What kind of liability/exposure is there if I actually moved forward in purchasing this home? It is located in Los Altos Hills, CA (Santa Clara County)

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by csn:
I am looking at a home that was remodeled by the current owner. During the remodel, the square footage was expanded. When attempting to get a permit for the remodel, the owner was told that he'd need to run another septic line into the home to accommodate the additional square footage. Well, the owner went ahead and remodeled and expanded the square footage without getting a permit or adding the additional septic line. The home seems very well priced because of this. What kind of liability/exposure is there if I actually moved forward in purchasing this home? It is located in Los Altos Hills, CA (Santa Clara County)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The liability and cost to correct and conform, citation and non-compliance fees etc. What else does not have a permit? You need to have a builing code inspection and a building permit check as part of your due diligence. In addition get some estimates from contractors to install the septic and all necessary lines. Include the design cost, permit and inspection fees etc. You need the actual turn-key cost so you know the true story. The home in its current condition is illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">