• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

regulations police must follow when issuing speeding citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlindManWalking

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? GA

I am preparing to go to court to fight a speeding ticket and wondering if there is a site I could visit stating the rules and regulations a cop must follow when issuing a speeding ticket. (i.e. I read that most times in GA the officer must inform you - before issuing the citation - that you have a right to request a recalibration of the system used for the citation, but I do not know if this is 100% accurate and do not want to make a fool of myself) Also, my cop said that he could not view my previous driving record and that sounds like a lie to me??? Can anyone help me????

Curt581

BlindManWalking said:
I am preparing to go to court to fight a speeding ticket and wondering if there is a site I could visit stating the rules and regulations a cop must follow when issuing a speeding ticket.
No such site exists. Such rules and regs vary not just from state to state, but from department to department.
(i.e. I read that most times in GA the officer must inform you - before issuing the citation - that you have a right to request a recalibration of the system used for the citation, but I do not know if this is 100% accurate and do not want to make a fool of myself)
Patently false.

First, since you aren't radar certified, you are not qualified to judge what a recalibration would or wouldn't show. You have no idea what you're looking at.

Second, what good would a recalibration do after being stopped?

Third, a "recalibration" is done at a radar repair shop, NOT on the side of the road.

Also, my cop said that he could not view my previous driving record and that sounds like a lie to me?
Why would it be a lie? Maybe the DOT computer was down... How do you know?

lwpat

Georgia Speeding Ticket

Patently false.
Actually this is true for local officers who are subject to the GA speed trap laws. It does not apply to the state patrol. I agree though that it is meaningless.

Georgia traffic courts are not something that you need to try on your own unless you are prepared to do the research. Based on your post I would suggest an attorney if this is a serious ticket. The judge will chop you up and spit you out for wasting his time.

dkpd73

Also, my cop said that he could not view my previous driving record and that sounds like a lie to me???

Not a lie. The computers in our units only pull up the NCIC/GCIC return for the driver's license and the vehicle registration. Beat cops, at least in my department, are unable to get driver histories from the car.

Besides, what does a driver history have to do with the current charge?

BlindManWalking

Thanks for your help!!! Anyone else???

Most of the questions I'm asking are simply for court. If it was a lie, I would bring it up in court. Since it's not, that won't help me much. I simply asked the cop if he could possible give me a warning instead since I had a clean record which is when he gave me a long lecture and then stated besides he couldn't access my driving history.

The whole recalibration thing was also simply for court purposes, because he did not give me the opportunity and if he was supposed to, I would mention it. I'm with you, that it doesn't make much sense. So, why would that be a regulation then?

Are they required to show you the laser reading if asked for it? if not asked?

It seems strange that there is no place to find the regulations for officers in my county. Seems kind of unfair.

Yes, I've heard that GA court is not a fun place to be. I should have stayed in IN. :)

Anyway, thanks to all for your help/insight!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">