• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I change my "buyer" broker ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jooby

I am interested in a house. I have a broker representing me as the buyer broker. We have submitted a contract, but the seller has not accepted the offer yet. This has been going on for too long and I am not happy with my broker. I want to terminate our relationship. Can I withdraw my offer and contract ? Can I look for another broker and make a new offer or go to the seller direct or seller's broker direct ? What should I do ? Please help.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jooby:
I am interested in a house. I have a broker representing me as the buyer broker. We have submitted a contract, but the seller has not accepted the offer yet. This has been going on for too long and I am not happy with my broker. I want to terminate our relationship. Can I withdraw my offer and contract ? Can I look for another broker and make a new offer or go to the seller direct or seller's broker direct ? What should I do ? Please help.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Read your contract. You can terminate based on poor or non-performance. If you go direct or through the listing agent, you will still be liable to pay the buyer's agent sales commission.

J

jooby

Thanks for the advice. Now what if I withdraw the contract and place our bid on a different house. Our current agent had drove us by another home, but we did not go in with her. If I want to work on a separate deal, I would like to use another agent...I am not very happy with her. Do I have a legal issue with this scenario ?

Thanks.

D

David J. Miller

How bad can the agent be? He/she found you two homes your'e interested in purchasing and has an offer on one of them.

I think Homeguru's first answer applies to your 2nd question as well. If I'm wrong, Homeguru will say so. He's my teacher you know.

J

jooby

I don't want to comment on the agent's performance. She didn't find us the house...these are new homes with signs posted in front. We did most of our drive by before contacting her for details. Since she did sell our house, that's why I've decided to work with her. I thought as a buyer I could work with multiple agents. As long as I have not been inside the house with her, nor signed any contract with her, I am free to work with any agent. True ? Thanks again for your comment.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jooby:
I don't want to comment on the agent's performance. She didn't find us the house...these are new homes with signs posted in front. We did most of our drive by before contacting her for details. Since she did sell our house, that's why I've decided to work with her. I thought as a buyer I could work with multiple agents. As long as I have not been inside the house with her, nor signed any contract with her, I am free to work with any agent. True ? Thanks again for your comment.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As long as you did not sign an agency and representation agreement, you are free to work with any agent of your choosing.
If the first agent that you are unhappy with drove you to a house and you did not go in, then later you turn an offer on this same house through another agent, the first agent may be entilted to a commission.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">