• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminating Alimony by Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

novice22

What is the name of your state? Minnesota
My father-in-law and mother-in-law are divorced (for the last 12 years), and he had been ordered to pay $2000 a month in alimony for life. He has recently retired and would likely be able to get a modification or cessation of these payments due to changed circumstances. They have spoken and agreed to a final lump sum payment of $30,000 to settle the alimony issue forever. My question is, how do they do this with the court to ensure that the settlement is accepted and binding? I don't have any reason to think that my mother-in-law wouldn't honor the settlement and would try to enforce the original order, but obviously we'd all as a family rather avoid any unpleasantness in the future and I know my father-in-law is hesitant to make the payment until he knows it really will be final.

They need to hire a family law attorney to draw up the stipulated papers and try to get the judge to sign the order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">