• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step Parent adoption please help...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RPRC

I have been married for 1 year now and my husband would like to adopt my 8 year old daughter. We have been together for 6 years and have 2 other children together. My daughter has known my husband as her dad for probably about 5 years now. Her bio father is not on her B.C. and we have never been married, he has never paid child support, and has never had any visitation with her and is not interested in being her father. She doesn't know him. I have not had contact with him since she was born.
She was born in Indiana and we recently moved to Arizona in March. Her bio father lives in Indiana and she was born there. I would like his rights terminated and I'm sure he would not contest this; how do I go about doing this? Do I research Arizona law or Indiana and if it's Indiana law do I have to actually attend any court hearings there? I don't think that would be possible. Any information anyone can give me about this process would be most appreciated.
Thank You, Regina

haiku

it is always best to consult an attorney, when considering adoption. if you don't know what you are doing you can end up with an illegal adoption.

adoptions are done in the state you and the child reside in. you have not been in Arizona long enough to be considered a resident, so it may be wise to wait the 6 months or however long that state requires for official residency.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">