• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 Speeding Tickets in 3 months... What to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DooMer_WI

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

So, I had a ticket in February for 22 over in Kenosha county. I showed up plead no contest ant it was reduced to 11-15 over, 4 pts (out of 12). Not learning my lesson, I received another ticket a few weeks ago in Milwaukee County via Sheriff's department for 11-15 over (it was written for 15 over), $159 and another 4 pts. So here's the dillema:

A couple of law firms sent me fliers about getting the ticket reduced to a parking ticket. I called both of them and basically got the same thing. $100 up front lawyer fee, they show up and get it down to a parking ticket and the ticket would go up to about $250, and be due 60 days from the court date.

Now, I already have the prior ticket from February. Both firms said it still wouldn't be a problem to get it reduced. Is this true? If so, is it worth it? My insurance (Progressive) should still go up, no? Will it go up more from a second ticket? One lawyer said some insurance companies will allow a speeding ticket every few years when you're over 25. I'm not sure if he was just blowing smoke up my butt. How would I find this out?

What do I do? I've slowed down, trust me...

Chris

Curt581

DooMer_WI said:
A couple of law firms sent me fliers about getting the ticket reduced to a parking ticket. I called both of them and basically got the same thing. $100 up front lawyer fee, they show up and get it down to a parking ticket and the ticket would go up to about $250, and be due 60 days from the court date.

Now, I already have the prior ticket from February. Both firms said it still wouldn't be a problem to get it reduced. Is this true?
The first is a pretty good deal, considering it started at 12 points, and a probable automatic license suspension.

The second ticket is actually amended from speeding to a zero point violation under SS 346.53(6). Not exactly a parking ticket, but those are not reported on your driving record.
If so, is it worth it?
You won't get a better deal anywhere in the state.
My insurance (Progressive) should still go up, no? Will it go up more from a second ticket?
It might go up from the first citation, being 4 points, but not the second. That one isn't reported on your driving record by DOT.
One lawyer said some insurance companies will allow a speeding ticket every few years when you're over 25. I'm not sure if he was just blowing smoke up my butt. How would I find this out?
Each insurance company is different, but for the most part, what he says is true. Progressive is kind of tight on that stuff, that's part of how they keep their rates low.
What do I do?
Sounds pretty obvious to me. The deals they're promising are gifts from Heaven. You'd be a fool to turn 'em down.

DooMer_WI

I guess my biggest question is if my insurance would go up twice (once from the first ticket, and again from the second) if I did this. If its only going to go up a set amount because I'm a problem driver, I don't see it being worth it, other than points. If its going to go up even more than it would've I see it being worth it. Thats my big question.

Thanks so much for the reply!
Chris

Veronica1228

By the way Curt, what the OP means by 4 out of 12 points is that in Wisconsin we start with 12 points and then get points deducted when ticketed with moving violations. So all together he is losing 8 points from the 12 for the two tickets.

It's too bad that you got those one on top of the other. I was just recently in court with a friend in the Milwaukee Municipal Courthouse and the judge was reducing everyone down. Fines and points. My friend only ended up losing 2 points and paying about $75 after the reduction, but that was with a clean driving record up until that point.

Curt581

I guess my biggest question is if my insurance would go up twice (once from the first ticket, and again from the second) if I did this. If its only going to go up a set amount because I'm a problem driver, I don't see it being worth it, other than points. If its going to go up even more than it would've I see it being worth it. Thats my big question.
Maybe I was unclear.

The Kenosha ticket was amended to 11 to 15. That's four points assessed. A simple "speeding" will appear on your driving record. Pay the fine, it's over and done.

The Milwaukee ticket will be amended to Zero points, and will NOT be reported to WI DOT. Pay the fine within the time alloted, and it will NOT appear on your record at all. Nothing. Nada. No record. Progressive won't know unless you tell 'em.

When it's all said and done, and fines are paid, you will have a single 4 point speeder on your record. The Kenosha ticket. That's all.

You tell me if it's worth it or not

DooMer_WI

I appreciate the replies. I understand the point you made about points, Curt. I appreciate your explanations. The only thing that I'm wondering is if the extra $200 in fees will benefit me when it comes to insurance premiums. If my insurance is going to go up $200 every 6 months regardless of if I have 2 tickets or 1, I guess I'm not sure if the extra $200 in lawyer/ticket fees is justified. Thats my biggest concern at this point.

Chris

Curt581

Veronica1228 said:
By the way Curt, what the OP means by 4 out of 12 points is that in Wisconsin we start with 12 points and then get points deducted when ticketed with moving violations. So all together he is losing 8 points from the 12 for the two tickets.
A common misperception.

For the OP, and anyone else interested, here's Wisconsin's point system in a nutshell:

Drivers start with Zero points. A traffic violation assesses points against your license. In other words, you accumulate, they don't take away. The number of points per violation varies, usually from 2 to 6 points. In special circumstances, they can go as high as 12.

If a regular driver accumulates 12 points in a one-year period, he gets suspended for 2 months.

There are some violations that will suspend by themselves. If you're stopped for 25 or more over the 55/65 limit, it's an automatic 15 day suspension. DWI/OWI is a totally separate issue.

There is a "Point Reduction" school, which would reduce the number of points you've accumulated. Completion of the course would remove 3 points. You can only take the course once every five years, so they recommend saving it until you're in danger of losing your license.

Probationary licenses work much the same way, except:
Your first citation, the points are assessed as above. On your second violation, the points double. For example, if a probationary gets a four point speeder, then later gets a 3 point stop sign ticket, he gets 4 + 3 x 2. Total of 10 points.

The courts in Wisconsin can amend citations to a different violation. The point value from the new violation are what is actually assessed.

For example: A driver gets a speeding ticket for 23 over, 6 points. The court could amend the violation to 15 to 19 over, which carries 4 points. Instead of "Speeding Excess, 6 points" showing up on the driver's record, it would show "Speeding Intermediate, 4 points". The driver would be required to pay the full fine on the original citation, and be given an additional 60 days to pay.

Some courts, especially busy ones, will do even better. Instead of 23 over, 6 points, they'd offer Failure to Obey Sign, 3 points. Pretty good deal.

Insurance companies use your official DOT driving record to set your rates.

If you're ever offered a zero point / no record amendment, snap it up without hesitation. Those are GIFTS.

Curt581

DooMer_WI said:
The only thing that I'm wondering is if the extra $200 in fees will benefit me when it comes to insurance premiums. If my insurance is going to go up $200 every 6 months regardless of if I have 2 tickets or 1, I guess I'm not sure if the extra $200 in lawyer/ticket fees is justified. Thats my biggest concern at this point.
Think of it this way:

Your Ins Co could raise your rates for a single ticket. Let's use your number, $200 every six.

They could raise your rates an additional $400 (or more) every six for TWO violations... or they could drop you altogether as a "high risk".

You could pay $200 in legal fees ONCE... or pay an extra $200 every six months over and over again.

You do whatever you want. To me, this is a no-brainer.

DooMer_WI

Time to revive an old thread! My friend recently received a speeding ticket for 12 over. He is wondering if he should go the lawyer route as well. In my case, as a refresher, I had 2 tickets within 2 months or so. I paid a lawyer for the second one and had it reduced to a non-moving violation, 0 points. My insurance still went up, likely for the first ticket which I simply got reduced myself by showing up to court and pleading no-contest.

QUESTION: Where do insurance companies get their information? If I look at the Wisconsin Circuit Court access page, which has the public record traffic offenses, I see my ticket. Instead of just saying that it was a non-moving violation, it first shows the speeding ticket for 11-15MPH over, then the next line says "AMMENDED TO:" and shows the non-moving violation. Do insurance companies use a different system? If they use the page I used, its pretty clear that I sped and had it reduced.

Thanks much!

DooMer_WI

ecmst12 said:
Couldn't you go to court yourself and try to get it reduced, without a lawyer?
In my case, the ticket was reduced to nothing (a non-moving violation, unreportable to insurance). I doubt I could've done that without a lawyer. Reduced a bit? Yes. To a non-moving? I doubt it. He is wondering if its worth it to do the same thing, or if insurance will see the same thing that I do when I look up my ticket online - which is the original speeding ticket, then the AMMENDED TO: portion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">