• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A few questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beaston

I live in Indiana, Vanderburgh County (Evansville).

1) Can a person be charged for trespassing after the fact? I have two witnesses to attest that these people were on my property. The cops were called at the time, and I was actually taken to jail - not over this incident, but because of past warrants.

Keep in mind I live in a mobile home court. They were in my driveway and on my deck (Attached to the home).

2) I am going to file a restraining order against these 2 people (My ex-inlaws) tomorrow. Do I have a legal right to include my place of work in this order so they cannot come there?

3) My ex-wife is the mother of my 11 year old son. Her parents (the ones in question) are the sole owners of the car she drives. She uses it 100% of the time, and it's always parked at HER house. If she comes over here, can her parents call the police and report the car stolen ONLY for the reason of coming over to my home? If so, wouldn't that be a false report?

Thanks very much for any responses!
Brian

TYRIS

1) Can a person be charged for trespassing after the fact? I have two witnesses to attest that these people were on my property. The cops were called at the time, and I was actually taken to jail - not over this incident, but because of past warrants. Keep in mind I live in a mobile home court. They were in my driveway and on my deck (Attached to the home).
-Yes, but it is probably more trouble than its worth. Who called the cops? If it was over them on your property then it should be logged at the Police/Sheriff's Department

2) I am going to file a restraining order against these 2 people (My ex-inlaws) tomorrow. Do I have a legal right to include my place of work in this order so they cannot come there?
-Yes.

3) My ex-wife is the mother of my 11 year old son. Her parents (the ones in question) are the sole owners of the car she drives. She uses it 100% of the time, and it's always parked at HER house. If she comes over here, can her parents call the police and report the car stolen ONLY for the reason of coming over to my home? If so, wouldn't that be a false report?
-They could try but once the Officers find out that she drives it exclusively it won't go anywhere. Would they actually file charges against their daughter to get back at you?

Why do they have a problem with you?

Tyris

beaston

There were some problems with me and my ex involving DV (No charges or arrests) That has been over 9 years ago, and apparently they just can't get over this. I have been through counseling and so forth since then; and this is no longer an issue. We've been divorced since 1997 but have an 11 year old son together, so we have a good relationship because of this. They just want to interfere any way they possibly can to keep me from seeing my son....They're grasping at straws if you ask me, but this is a constaint pain. If they keep showing up and I end up having to call the police on them, I may eventually face getting evicted from the mobile home court I live in.

Just got back from the courthouse, and apparently in Indiana you can't get a restraining order against someone solely for the reason of harassment. They have to be STALKING you in this case, or have physically harmed you. Rediculous.

Apparently the courts don't care until something has actually HAPPENED, not will and/or can happen if they continue to have contact with a person.

beaston

And in case anyone is wondering, I am not doing this to "get back" at them, I just want them out of my life and to have no contact with me or my place of employment. I can't deal with this crap they're pushing on me, nor do I want my son to be caught up in the middle of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">