• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminating a short term tenancy agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

karenrae

I have recently signed a short assured tenancy agreement. However, due to various factors i withdrew before the date I was expected to take up the tenancy. This was due to
a)a verbal agreement between myself/landlord that the lease would be long term. But the contract states six months initially and then on a month to month basis. After pointing this out I was told that this was okay and a long term tenancy was promised. However I have since found out that the property has been advertised for sale.
My worries are that the new landlords may have other ideas and keep the lease going for 6 months only.
I feel that moving for a possable 6 months is just too risky for my daughter in realtion to schooling etc.

b) when I agreed to take on the tenancy, there was a family moving into the house adjacent to the property I was going to be renting. However, since I signed the lease, the landlord has changed his mind and said he was considering leasing it to a single man.

since I am a single parent with a young daughter. I feel that there are safety issues at stake and feel very unsettled about living in the middle of the countryside next to a single man. If I had known this I would not have considered the property in the first place.

Can I pull out before the moving in date as things are now different. I dont feel right about moving in
karen Rae

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by karenrae:
I have recently signed a short assured tenancy agreement. However, due to various factors i withdrew before the date I was expected to take up the tenancy. This was due to
a)a verbal agreement between myself/landlord that the lease would be long term. But the contract states six months initially and then on a month to month basis. After pointing this out I was told that this was okay and a long term tenancy was promised. However I have since found out that the property has been advertised for sale.
My worries are that the new landlords may have other ideas and keep the lease going for 6 months only.
I feel that moving for a possable 6 months is just too risky for my daughter in realtion to schooling etc.

b) when I agreed to take on the tenancy, there was a family moving into the house adjacent to the property I was going to be renting. However, since I signed the lease, the landlord has changed his mind and said he was considering leasing it to a single man.

since I am a single parent with a young daughter. I feel that there are safety issues at stake and feel very unsettled about living in the middle of the countryside next to a single man. If I had known this I would not have considered the property in the first place.

Can I pull out before the moving in date as things are now different. I dont feel right about moving in
karen Rae

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You sound like you may have the tenancy agreement governed by the laws of the Queen of England. If the property is not in the US (where I vaguely know the L/T laws), I am not able to comment about L/T laws in other countries.
Top of the mornng to ya and gid day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">