• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I leave the house for him

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Najwa

What is the name of your state? NY

I moved in to live in usa since 5 years ago after I got married in my country to my husband ( american citizen , originally from my country but he is living in usa since 10 years ago)
I am house wife with no children yet (working as a maid for my hsuband and his family as I came from middle east) . I never worked or earned money in USA .
My husband wants to get divorce and he wants me to leave the house soon
coz I could not get him a child .
He bought the house when I first came here since 5 years ago by his own money .
The mortgage is by his name only . He added my name to the house title only when he signed QUITCLAIM DEED .
Now he is telling me that I have no right in getting any penny of the house property as he got it by his own money and as he was the only person working and paying for the mortgage
Should I believe him and leave everything for him and just go back to my family as I hae no right to keep staying at the house anymore?

Shel77

You own 50% of that house, IMO. Don't let him lie to you you also will get 50% of any other assets aquired since you marriage. (ie savings accounts, cars.) He is lieing to you and you should not believe a word he says.

BRLAhere

Listen, there are many words you don't want to hear while you're going thru a divorce, but the best words not to be heard are those words from your mouth to his ears. Also, don't you listen to him either. Get an attorney, NOW!!!!!!

I am a man who has been thru 3 divorces. The main thing I tried to pull over my spouses was getting the house. I don't know the age here (I'm 58) of the two of you, but the status-thing a man seeks in a divorce (for some strange reason) is getting the house.....especially if he's younger than 40.

Understand, in this great land of the USA, we can manufacture ANYTHING....except for one thing, and that's land....we cannot manufacture more space to live on. The land underneath that house is what makes the house appreciate in value, not the timber it's made of.

You hush your mouth, move out, hire an attorney and no matter how rough life seems to you during those days, the house is 50% yours. In fact, try to ignore the house and let it sit for another 20 years....it means more value to the property, therefore, more money in your pocket!

It's okay the mortgage is in his name. He probably calculated that when the house was originally bought. Keep in mind these important words: "The house might belong to him, but it's still your home, Sweetie!"

BEWARE: If you move out and get an attorney, he might try to woo you back. Why? Because you have the upper hand on him and the house. Don't fall for it. Accept the divorce desires, follow thru, forget him, get on with your life! If you fall to his beckoning, it only gives him longer opportunity to figure out how to get you out of the picture later (down the road).

Get yourself an attorney quietly and some well-deserved sleep.

Najwa

Shel77 , BRLAhere ,HomeGuru, Thank you so much for your help.

Now I realized well that I am not a sconed degree person as I used to be at my home country (over there wife has no rights ). I will follow your advices and I will not let him destroy my life at all ( I am in early 30s).
I will post my case at the divorce forums may be they can tell me if i can ask for a financial wife support too !!

BRLAhere wrote ,
BRLAhere said:
It's okay the mortgage is in his name. He probably calculated that when the house was originally bought. Keep in mind these important words: "The house might belong to him, but it's still your home, Sweetie!".
Do you think that he on purpose added me to the house title only(quitclaim deed) and not to the mortgage so that he will protect the property more and make it more difficult for me to get my share especially that I am not working and paying the mortgage with him !!!

BelizeBreeze

Najwa said:
Do you think that he on purpose added me to the house title only(quitclaim deed) and not to the mortgage so that he will protect the property more and make it more difficult for me to get my share especially that I am not working and paying the mortgage with him !!!
No, he did that because he is stupid.
you DO NOT want on the mortgage. But you DO want on the deed.

Which means, you own 50% of the PHYSICAL home with 0% of the debt.

So, the next time he suggests you move, you just smile sweetly and suggest HE move or learn what the word "PARTITION" means.

BRLAhere

Hey, BelizeBreeze, that's a good point!

Najwa, the people on the divorce forums can't get you financial support, only your attorney can. But one thing they can do for you is to advise you how to find the very best divorce attorney in your town. I think I would concentrate on the very best attorney available! (no matter the costs, no matter nothing). Once you get the attorney, you can go shopping, try on some new shoes...even get a glimpse of yourself in a mirror somewhere and see if you can recognize that new glow coming from inside you!

Find a damn good attorney, and relax....worries are over (especially since no kids are involved)

Najwa

Thank you

Thank you so much for helping me to have self confidence and to know my legal rights . I will start looking for the best lawyer in my area

God Bless you all

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">