• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowner "Special Assessment"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kmury

Recently (2Weeks Ago) I purchased a Condo/Townhouse with an association fee that is $200 a Month to maintain among other things ,the outside structure of the home. The $200 fee was disclosed at closing, however, yesterday ( 2weeks after closing), I rec'd a notice from the homeowner's association saying that they are about to begin a roofing project for the entire community for which I will incur a $6300 "special assessment". The project, not the cost, was communicated to the prev. owner 3 mos ago and his disclosure statement at closing said there was no "assessments" in addition to the regular fee. I feel his disclosure statement was not in "good faith" even though the assessment was not actually charged until after we closed. Who should pay? Notification to the prev owner was via director meeting minutes (12/99) and a regular mail letter sent three months ago.

[This message has been edited by kmury (edited November 02, 2000).]

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kmury:
Recently (2Weeks Ago) I purchased a Condo/Townhouse with an association fee that is $200 a Month to maintain among other things ,the outside structure of the home. The $200 fee was disclosed at closing, however, yesterday ( 2weeks after closing), I rec'd a notice from the homeowner's association saying that they are about to begin a roofing project for the entire community for which I will incur a $6300 "special assessment". The project, not the cost, was communicated to the prev. owner 3 mos ago and his disclosure statement at closing said there was no "assessments" in addition to the regular fee. I feel his disclosure statement was not in "good faith" even though the assessment was not actually charged until after we closed. Who should pay? Notification to the prev owner was via director meeting minutes (12/99) and a regular mail letter sent three months ago.

[This message has been edited by kmury (edited November 02, 2000).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are responsible to pay the fee since you are the property owner. You can sue the Seller for misrepresentation. You did not complete due diligence by contacting the HOA to see if there were any past, current or future lawsuits, special assessments, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">