• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deposit With-held/No Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rmars91

I recently left the first apartment I have ever rented. When I took possesion of the apartment I had to pay 2 months worth of rent for my first month and my deposit. I was not ask to sign a lease but I was told that if I left before the six months was up they would not return my deposit. When I left after a year and two months, I gave a 1 week notice. The landlord said that since I did not give 30 days notice he would not be returning my deposit and that was the law. Is there such a law in Illinois? I thought that is why most places made you sign a lease, to state what they expected out of you but as a first time renter I did not know what kind of notice you had to give.
Thanks for your time.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rmars91:
I recently left the first apartment I have ever rented. When I took possesion of the apartment I had to pay 2 months worth of rent for my first month and my deposit. I was not ask to sign a lease but I was told that if I left before the six months was up they would not return my deposit. When I left after a year and two months, I gave a 1 week notice. The landlord said that since I did not give 30 days notice he would not be returning my deposit and that was the law. Is there such a law in Illinois? I thought that is why most places made you sign a lease, to state what they expected out of you but as a first time renter I did not know what kind of notice you had to give.
Thanks for your time.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the absence of a written lease agreement, the State L/T laws prevail. L was correct with respect to the notice to vacate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">