• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Game warden, MIP, yada yada yada

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheTallOne

I currenyly reside in washington state, in the small town of ellensburg.

This is kind of a long story and I've been trying to think of defenses for myself and needed some help. First off, I was fishing on the yakima river on memorial day (may 30th). Two friends and I crossed this large river by wading across the river downstream to get to the remote side of the river (no roads, houses, etc) which I later found out after talking to the game warden that it was private land. As we are fishing, two game wardens came ashore further up stream via boat and walked down to us to catch us with whatever we were doing. Now, the rules, which I was unaware of, consisted of catch and release, no barbed hooks, and no treble hooks. I was fishing with barbed hooks which didn't please them. When I grabbed my tackle box from our backpack they saw two beers, that's all we brought, not sure why exactly. We had not been drinking but the wardens insisted, well, demanded, that we get back across stream to our cars to talk. Well, needless to say we had to swim the river because wading upstream along the shallows is impossible. I thought this was just cruel because they knew the impossibilities of getting back across the river. They said they had no life preservers to get us into the boat and get us across the river safely so we sucked it up and swam. They took our keys so we wouldn't run away, our cell phones, and everything exept our rods. Once at the car lot, another officer, whom I understood to be a senior warden of some sort was present. He came right up to me and asked if I had any beer in my car, which I did because a 22 year old male had left it in the trunk of my explorer and didn't take it, not an excuse I know, but it was an honest mistake. I knew the officer had already looking through the window and saw the beer to I said yes. I had no beer to drink that day, none whatsoever and demanded that the officer give me a PBT and he refused. He ticketed me with an Minor in Possession/Consumption, which I understand is liable because of the 14 beers in the trunk. Does anyone know any ways out of this ticket? I will battle this case till the end because I don't think that I did much of anything wrong, the beer simply was not mine.
I understand the rules of MIP's having one on my record, that I wasn't supposed to be in possession of any alcohol. However, this was the most honest and most cooperative mistake I've ever made and don't feel I should have gotten one. My question is this, are there any ruless or regulations they might have gone against in order to give me this ticket? (my friends also go ticketed with an MIP). Possibley harrasement for making us travel the river, which we would have done more safely crossing a bridge about 2 hours away, whcih was our original plan. Can game wardens have this much power to do so? What about not providing life preservers? If the 22 year old male were to testify and explain that this was his mistake would the prosecuter accept that? Any suggestions? Please?
I've done some research and have not found any reference on their website as to any alcohol related subjects found in Criminal chapter 9 and 9A. Search for "fish and wildlife washington" in google to find their website. I would also like to know what constitures harrassement? Thank You

CdwJava

The MIP is easy - you were under 21 and had beer in your car, and you KNEW you had beer in the car. Possession requires dominion and control, not ownership OR consumption. You're done there. Even possession in the backpack is sufficient for the charge.

However, making you SWIM across the river is not good, in my opinion. At that point you were detained and effectively in the Warden's custody. Had you been injured, or - God forbid - drowned in the river, your survivors would be receiving a hefty check from the state.

Swimming the river won't get you off the MIP. And since nothing bad happened to you while crossing the river, the chances of any action being taken there are slim as well. You certainly have a potential grievance against the wardens if you indeed had to "swim" the river (as opposed to wading across ... after all, you got to the other side once). But this is likely an internal matter and not one for which there is any money in a civil suit - and almost certainly not a way out of the citation since it could have also been issued on the other side of the river for the TWO cans.

For a detailed explanation of your options you might consider consulting an attorney.

- Carl

TheTallOne

Hey thanks Carl - I did injure myself, not seriously, minor cuts and bruises. My cell phone was left with me, both friends were taken (not sure why) so that was damaged in the water. As well as my rod and reel. If you view this again let me know what kind of legal experience you have, just wondering. Thanks for the help tho, any other suggestions by anyone else would be great.

CdwJava

TheTallOne said:
Hey thanks Carl - I did injure myself, not seriously, minor cuts and bruises. My cell phone was left with me, both friends were taken (not sure why) so that was damaged in the water. As well as my rod and reel. If you view this again let me know what kind of legal experience you have, just wondering. Thanks for the help tho, any other suggestions by anyone else would be great.
I'm a peace officer and supervisor in CA. I am not completely familiar with the specifics of WA law and liability, so I cannot say for certain what measure of liability they might have.

- Carl

back to car

was the car on private land? if it was on private land other than where the game warenen was allowed to go he had no right to be on that property without a warrent. all he found on you was a ket to the car. no alcohol. also suppose your 22 YO friend borrowed your car and left it there with the beer before you got back and didn't get it back out of the trunk because he thought he'd still have time to do so before you got back

cans of beer?

were your fingerprints on the beer cans? how do they even know there is any beer in them and not something else? they had no warrant to begin with so you can throw all of that evidence out anyway. unless it was on their land .

CdwJava

pittsmark6 said:
were your fingerprints on the beer cans? how do they even know there is any beer in them and not something else? they had no warrant to begin with so you can throw all of that evidence out anyway. unless it was on their land .
What ARE you talking about?

They didn't NEED a warrant for the contact on the river - so THAT beer is in, and at the car there was an admission to having beer in the car - so THAT evidence is in!

The evidence is good. No warrant required.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">