• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tallahassee

I live in Tallahassee, Florida and I am about to go to small claims court. I rented an apartment in Nov, 1997 and I paid first and last month's rent. In the middle of our lease, the property foreclosed and the bank hired a real estate broker to collect monies. We asked about our last month's rent and were told to take the former landlord to court since the check was made to him and the agreement was with him. In the process, the property sold and the new landlord renovated the places and made his own lease agreement and told us the same thing the broker did, to go to small claims court against the former landlord.

Until recently, we could not find him, and I finally got his address off of a public records search. I wrote him a letter asking for my money back and gave him a copy of the check. I also told him I would take him to small claims court if he didn't respond. He stated he didn't rent the property and take deposits. I guess I worded it wrong and should have said last month's rent. He sent all papers back to me and told me to take my new landlord to court and threatened to take me to court. What should I do?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tallahassee:
I live in Tallahassee, Florida and I am about to go to small claims court. I rented an apartment in Nov, 1997 and I paid first and last month's rent. In the middle of our lease, the property foreclosed and the bank hired a real estate broker to collect monies. We asked about our last month's rent and were told to take the former landlord to court since the check was made to him and the agreement was with him. In the process, the property sold and the new landlord renovated the places and made his own lease agreement and told us the same thing the broker did, to go to small claims court against the former landlord.

Until recently, we could not find him, and I finally got his address off of a public records search. I wrote him a letter asking for my money back and gave him a copy of the check. I also told him I would take him to small claims court if he didn't respond. He stated he didn't rent the property and take deposits. I guess I worded it wrong and should have said last month's rent. He sent all papers back to me and told me to take my new landlord to court and threatened to take me to court. What should I do?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take him to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">