• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Radars

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CBP21

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Indiana

I received a ticket today for failing to yield to an emergancy vehicle. I plan on contesting the ticket; I won't bore you with the details, though I belive I have a legit defense. My questions are:
1) Is the ticketing officer required to show me the radar during the stop (said I was traveling 50 MPH in a 50 MPH zone)?
2) Can I obtain calibration information for the radar in the officers car?

As mentioned I believe I have a strong case and would like to add to my defense if the above questions are to my favor.

Thanks for the help.

CBP21

Curt581

CBP21 said:
I received a ticket today for failing to yield to an emergancy vehicle. I plan on contesting the ticket; I won't bore you with the details, though I belive I have a legit defense. My questions are:
1) Is the ticketing officer required to show me the radar during the stop (said I was traveling 50 MPH in a 50 MPH zone)?
No. No police officer is not required to show you any piece of equipment. Why would you need to see it, if you were traveling at the speed limit?
2) Can I obtain calibration information for the radar in the officers car?
Why would you need it?
As mentioned I believe I have a strong case and would like to add to my defense if the above questions are to my favor.
Is this post for real?

Why would you need radar information if you weren't stopped for speeding?

Am I missing something here?!

I don't see any defense to the charge you posted, in anything you've outlined.

Unless you're going for an insanity defense.

CBP21

Yes, it's for real

Curt581:

No, It's not for real, I thought it would be a good time to waist your and my time? Of course it's for real. As I mentioned in the earlier post, I don't want to bore you with the details, but I do have a legit defense. I was asking about the radar for my benefit to potentially add to that defense. Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

Crazed98

CBP21 said:
Curt581:

No, It's not for real, I thought it would be a good time to waist your and my time? Of course it's for real. As I mentioned in the earlier post, I don't want to bore you with the details, but I do have a legit defense. I was asking about the radar for my benefit to potentially add to that defense. Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

Maybe if you bored us with the details you will recieve more help.

Your ticket has nothing to do with your speed your ticket is for not yeilding.

Proving that you were going slower then 50mph does nothing.

CdwJava

Okay, let's try this - what have you been charged with? It doesn't seem to be speeding as you write, "I was traveling 50 MPH in a 50 MPH zone".

If you have been charged for speeding, unless the road conditions totally sucked (and thus justified a much lower speed), then your defense would be that you were not speeding per the officer's citation. That being so, why would you even NEED the radar calibration information?

- Carl

CBP21

OK. Here's the story.

I was traveling north in the right lane. Ahead were two police cars on the far right hand shoulder. Their overhead lights had just turned off and had no car pulled over. Their cars were approximately 200 ft from an on ramp which I needed to enter. Cars were in the left lane beisde me and cars were behind me. Therefore I could not move over to the left. Since the police cars were pulled over to an assured distance to the right and the on ramp was rapidy approaching, I stayed in the right lane.

I entered the on ramp and proceeded on the highway for approximately 20 seconds when I noticed both police cars behind me with lights on. When the officer approached my car, he said I failed to move left (pull over) or slow down for emergancy vehicles. He clocked me doing 50 MPH in a 50 MPH zone (hence my questions on this string).

I hope this spread a little light.

Thanks for the recommendations.

CdwJava

What was the specific charge you face? (code and section)

The radar issue is a moot point. Since you don't seem to admit that you slowed down anyway, the fact that you were doing the speed limit works in your favor. If the facts are as you state, then you probably were not even required to give way or slow in any way. But, only the code sections will tell that tale.

- Carl

CdwJava

You Are Guilty said:
Guilty.

Rather that waste time explaining why, just read this.
Nice!

I wish we had that one! I have a grand time maneuvering the inches on the freeway! But, I like to go to the passenger side window when I can - much safer that way.

- Carl

You Are Guilty

There are a number of videos available all over the internet of officers who weren't as lucky. I guess drunks are attracted to the flashing lights. I have no sympathy for people who don't have common courtesy.

CBP21

I'm charged with Failure to Merge to an Emergancy Vehicle.

"You are guilty"
I read the link you posted and it makes sense as posted. However, the officers in this case were never in jeoperty. First, they were not out of their cars, and second, they were pulled substantialy off the road. Lastly, I have always respected the police and have given the benefit of doubt and right-a-way. If I thought for a moment they were in harms way, I would have stopped. Therefore, your link does not muster in this case.

lwpat

Officers often sit on the side with their light bars off while running radar or maybe just writing out some paperwork. The move over laws do not apply and that seems to be the OP's contention.

Fines for not moving over reach up to $10,000.
Ouch!

CdwJava

CBP21 said:
I'm charged with Failure to Merge to an Emergancy Vehicle.

"You are guilty"
I read the link you posted and it makes sense as posted. However, the officers in this case were never in jeoperty. First, they were not out of their cars, and second, they were pulled substantialy off the road. Lastly, I have always respected the police and have given the benefit of doubt and right-a-way. If I thought for a moment they were in harms way, I would have stopped. Therefore, your link does not muster in this case.
Specifically, what CODE SECTION were you cited for? Not the title, but the number / statute.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">