• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utilities in landlords name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

boo19

I have a renter who has kept the utilities in my name with the promise to pay the utilities. I have come to find out that disconnect notices have been sent for the electric, water and gas service. Can I legally, in the state of Illinois, have these services terminated until she puts them in her own name?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by boo19:
I have a renter who has kept the utilities in my name with the promise to pay the utilities. I have come to find out that disconnect notices have been sent for the electric, water and gas service. Can I legally, in the state of Illinois, have these services terminated until she puts them in her own name?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No.

A

Always searching

I am in Texas. I had this hard lesson around 10 years ago. I was told I had to evict the people before I could turn anything off because I didn't make allowances for the utilities in the rental agreement. I ended up spending my $68.00 to have them served and they tried to extend their eviction date so I had to have a sheriff come ($45.00). Then of course, they stiffed me on the rent and we were into the next month. The house looked like hell, had to repaint it, and it took three trips from the exterminator to get rid of the roaches. Seems they started raising birds in the extra bedroom. Talk about the renters from hell!!! Took them to small claims court, won, got a judgement, but no court in the world can GET someone to pay so it is on their credit along with every other person they stiffed. Ah to be young and trusting. Now I don't waste any time, no money, no place to rent, no utilities in my name and I don't care what the circumstances are, no electric if not qualified. Including electricity in the rent screws you too. People have a tendency to spend your money too easily. Now before they even move in, they have to show me the electric deposit and date the service starts.

Wait for Home Guru to tell you what Illinois law is. I was just telling you what happened to me. My blood pressure goes up every time I think about how stupid I was.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">