• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanics Lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Summer5

In the process of doing repair work to my home, my contractor cracked my driveway. His insurance company covered the cost for a concrete contractor to replace the driveway. The ins. company told me and the concrete co. that the check was being sent to the concrete co. I paid my contractor with that understanding. The check went instead to the general contractor, who is now in financial trouble and did not turn the money over to the concrete co. The concrete co. is threatening me with a lien. I never received a bill for the work, it went straight to the contractor and then was turned in to his ins. company.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rascal:
In the process of doing repair work to my home, my contractor cracked my driveway. His insurance company covered the cost for a concrete contractor to replace the driveway. The ins. company told me and the concrete co. that the check was being sent to the concrete co. I paid my contractor with that understanding. The check went instead to the general contractor, who is now in financial trouble and did not turn the money over to the concrete co. The concrete co. is threatening me with a lien. I never received a bill for the work, it went straight to the contractor and then was turned in to his ins. company.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So what is your ? if you want a concrete response.

Summer5

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
So what is your ? if you want a concrete response.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
My question is should I be doing anything right now, or do I have any way to prevent the lien? In Iowa, I believe there is a 90 day window from when the work is complete, which is close now. Also there is something in the Iowa code about notification. Is it also significant that the contractor's insurance company paid this bill? Does that then eliminate my obligation?

[This message has been edited by Rascal (edited November 03, 2000).]

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by HomeGuru:
So what is your ? if you want a concrete response.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
My question is should I be doing anything right now, or do I have any way to prevent the lien? In Iowa, I believe there is a 90 day window from when the work is complete, which is close now. Also there is something in the Iowa code about notification. Is it also significant that the contractor's insurance company paid this bill? Does that then eliminate my obligation?

[This message has been edited by Rascal (edited November 03, 2000).]
Insurance payment or not, you are still liable and the unpaid contractor still has lien rights.
Hire an attorney to check into that notification stuff.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">