• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

buyer backing out of purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jerryr

i have sold my home and have a binding contract. we had a closing date of mon oct 30. the buyer did not show up and refuses to close. we have purchased another home and those people have already moved. they are waiting for us to close on their property so they can close on their purchase. i already have spent over $5,000 out of pocket for the move. i plan on suing my buyer for breech of contract. my question is can i hold this buyer liable for all my expenditures and can i sue for punitive damages and am i on sound legal grounds for this action.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jerryr:
i have sold my home and have a binding contract. we had a closing date of mon oct 30. the buyer did not show up and refuses to close. we have purchased another home and those people have already moved. they are waiting for us to close on their property so they can close on their purchase. i already have spent over $5,000 out of pocket for the move. i plan on suing my buyer for breech of contract. my question is can i hold this buyer liable for all my expenditures and can i sue for punitive damages and am i on sound legal grounds for this action.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have not stated the reasons the buyer did not close and what all expenditures are. Punitive is questionable.

J

jerryr

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
You have not stated the reasons the buyer did not close and what all expenditures are. Punitive is questionable.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THE REASON THE BUYER DID NOT CLOSE WAS BECAUSE HE GOT COLD FEET. MY EXPENSES INVOLVE $500 TO REPLACE WINDOWS ON MY HOME AT THE BUYERS REQUEST. DEPOSITS I WILL LOSE WITH UTILITIES AND SERVICES THAT HAD TO BE NOTIFIED IN ADVANCE OF MY MOVE TO TURN ON SERVICE FOR THE NEW HOME. MY TIME SPENT PACKING AND BOXING FOR THE MOVE. DEPOSITS MADE FOR NEW FURNITURE AND APPLIANCES. COST OF GETTING A NEW DRIVEWAY CUT IN FOR APPROVAL OF MY MORTGAGE. SOIL SAMPLES AND SURVEYOR CHARGES FOR THE PROPERTY I WAS BUYING AND CAN NO LONGER, BECAUSE APPROVAL OF MY MORTGAGE WAS CONTIGENT ON CLOSING. THERE MUST BE SOME RECOURSE ON A BUYER WHO HAS RUINED SO MUCH FOR SO MANY

J

jerryr

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jerryr:
THE REASON THE BUYER DID NOT CLOSE WAS BECAUSE HE GOT COLD FEET. MY EXPENSES INVOLVE $500 TO REPLACE WINDOWS ON MY HOME AT THE BUYERS REQUEST. DEPOSITS I WILL LOSE WITH UTILITIES AND SERVICES THAT HAD TO BE NOTIFIED IN ADVANCE OF MY MOVE TO TURN ON SERVICE FOR THE NEW HOME. MY TIME SPENT PACKING AND BOXING FOR THE MOVE. DEPOSITS MADE FOR NEW FURNITURE AND APPLIANCES. COST OF GETTING A NEW DRIVEWAY CUT IN FOR APPROVAL OF MY MORTGAGE. SOIL SAMPLES AND SURVEYOR CHARGES FOR THE PROPERTY I WAS BUYING AND CAN NO LONGER, BECAUSE APPROVAL OF MY MORTGAGE WAS CONTIGENT ON CLOSING. THERE MUST BE SOME RECOURSE ON A BUYER WHO HAS RUINED SO MUCH FOR SO MANY<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HomeGuru

THE REASON THE BUYER DID NOT CLOSE WAS BECAUSE HE GOT COLD FEET. MY EXPENSES INVOLVE $500 TO REPLACE WINDOWS ON MY HOME AT THE BUYERS REQUEST. DEPOSITS I WILL LOSE WITH UTILITIES AND SERVICES THAT HAD TO BE NOTIFIED IN ADVANCE OF MY MOVE TO TURN ON SERVICE FOR THE NEW HOME. MY TIME SPENT PACKING AND BOXING FOR THE MOVE. DEPOSITS MADE FOR NEW FURNITURE AND APPLIANCES. COST OF GETTING A NEW DRIVEWAY CUT IN FOR APPROVAL OF MY MORTGAGE. SOIL SAMPLES AND SURVEYOR CHARGES FOR THE PROPERTY I WAS BUYING AND CAN NO LONGER, BECAUSE APPROVAL OF MY MORTGAGE WAS CONTIGENT ON CLOSING. THERE MUST BE SOME RECOURSE ON A BUYER WHO HAS RUINED SO MUCH FOR SO MANY<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do not read all caps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">