• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Road Worker Providing Information to Cops

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bill18163

What is the name of your state?Pennsylvania
Can a road worker take your licence number and turn you in for a violation? I passed a pickup truck in a posted work area because he was going 35 in a 45 work zone and I think(as I looked in my mirror) he was writing down my licence number. Will something like this "stand up" if he turns me in?

CdwJava

bill18163 said:
What is the name of your state?Pennsylvania
Can a road worker take your licence number and turn you in for a violation? I passed a pickup truck in a posted work area because he was going 35 in a 45 work zone and I think(as I looked in my mirror) he was writing down my licence number. Will something like this "stand up" if he turns me in?
It could. How did you pass him? Did you cross into oncoming traffic where you should not have been? If you did nothing wrong or unlawful, then don't worry about it.

- Carl

bill18163

I was on an interstate highway.Right lane was marked off for no travel by cones every 200-300 yards. Posted speed was 45mph. Absolute straight away for a long, long way. He was doing 35 mph and holding up traffic behind me for as far as you could see back up a slight grade and over the grade out of sight. No work going on in the area within sight ahead. Single lane we all were in was the "normal" left passing lane of the highway following him. Lane to the left was a full width lane which is the permanent paved "berm" of the highway. I went into this "berm" lane to pass him and he went balistic. Waving hand and arm out the window. My wife said as we passed him that he was yelling at us. She saw him and told me that he really was angry. He started laying on the horn full blast as I pulled in after passing him. Almost non stop horn blowing for quite a while. He had no problem traveling at 45mph hugging my bumper and blowing the horn. Remember before he would not go over 35mph. I could not see his bumper or headlights he was so close to me. He turned off on a limited access strip between the east and west roadways about a mile further down the road.

CdwJava

His actions would not absolve you of driving on the berm. So, were you to get cited, you would likely be found guilty.

However, cites after the fact are rare - at least in my state.

- Carl

Bravo8

They're not that uncommon in PA. It largely depends on the officer that this yahoo reports it to. If he does report you, he would have to go to court and testify on behalf of the prosecution.

While you certainly shouldn't have driven on the berm of the highway to pass him, I sincerely doubt that an officer would file a citation in this instance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">