• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord right to shut off utilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jwetsell

Situation: Tenant rents house from Landlord. All utilties are in tenants name. When tenant cancels utilities they are automatically put in to landlords name.

If tenant cancels the utilities during the lease does the landlord have the right to discontinue (shut off)the utilities?

Sincerely,
John Wetsell

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jwetsell:
Situation: Tenant rents house from Landlord. All utilties are in tenants name. When tenant cancels utilities they are automatically put in to landlords name.

If tenant cancels the utilities during the lease does the landlord have the right to discontinue (shut off)the utilities?

Sincerely,
John Wetsell
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please explain in detail.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jwetsell:

Sincerely,
John Wetsell
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did not understand the entire situation and all issues. That is why I asked for details. First and foremost you did not include your State which you now have.
Your post left some important details out which I needed in order to analyze the situation and provide a reasonable response. Some of these details include but may not be limited to: what kind of house did the tenants rent, is it a SFD, row, duplex, shared, attached such that there is one meter for multiple tenants, does L live on the same property and share the utilities, do the tenants have a fixed lease or are they m/m., do the tenants still live there or did they move out, why did tenants cancel the utilities, do the tenants owe rent, etc.
I hope you now realize that things may not be as simple as it seems and there is more to it than just providing a few facts. I can not read your mind and I did not understand the circumstances. If you provide the requested information, just maybe someone may be interested in responding. Next time do not question the contributors request for information when they are simply trying to help you, just because you don't understand why details were needed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">