• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Developer Controlled HOA vs Homeowners

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lazoal

What is the name of your state? Florida

I am appealing to anyone for help due to an unfortunate situation that is transpiring in our Homeowner’s Association. Our association is controlled by the developer and has been for over a decade. Recently, we were informed that our telecommunications provider (Cable & Internet) will be transitioning to a new company and the reasons given by the developer range from the unbelievable to the absurd. We were informed that we will be changing from Adelphia to an obscure Cable Company, which I believe is an inferior company that will provide less service for more money.
I am dismayed by the actions of the developer in which they took it upon themselves to sign a new contract without properly notifying the homeowners or making the homeowners part of the decision making process. The decision made my the developer affects everyone in the community to the extent that it will cause an upheaval in establishing new Internet email addresses, considerably raise the cost of cable service and no assurances that the service provided will be to the level that Adelphia is currently providing. In addition, when I called the new cable company's customer service office I was asked to call back later due to a staff meeting and when accessing their website I was confronted by a web page that is sub-par by industry standards. These are not the qualities of a stable telecommunications provider. I have spent many hours researching and speaking other residents of our community and I’ve come up with what I believe to be collusion between the developer and the new cable company in order to profit extensively from this joint venture. If anyone can provide insight, it would surely be appreciated.

QUESTION: Do the homeowners have any legal recourse when a developer controlled HOA makes a decision without proper notification and homeowner approval when it relates to Cable Providers. In addition my second question pertains to the legality of a developer making a profit off the HOA when they own or have financial interests in the new cable provider.

Last edited:

lazoal

Question

QUESTION: Do the homeowners have any legal recourse when a developer controlled HOA makes a decision without proper notification and homeowner approval when it relates to Cable Providers. In addition my second question pertains to the legality of a developer making a profit off the HOA when they own or have financial interests in the new cable provider.

HomeGuru

lazoal said:
**A: the HOA needs to hire a HOA attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">