• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cosigner of lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Searcher

I co-signed a lease for my daughter & roommate for an apartment while she was at college in Michigan. The roommate has not paid her half of the rent and my daughter cannot afford to pay the whole rent even though she is working to support herself. Eviction papers have been filed. My daughter and I appeared in court, but the roommate didnt. We now have 10 days to be evicted or come up with the rest of the rent. I know I need to pay the rent for them because I co-signed. Can I then take the roommate to small claims court to ask for the amount she owes? Or do I even have a case against her because I co-signed?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Searcher:
I co-signed a lease for my daughter & roommate for an apartment while she was at college in Michigan. The roommate has not paid her half of the rent and my daughter cannot afford to pay the whole rent even though she is working to support herself. Eviction papers have been filed. My daughter and I appeared in court, but the roommate didnt. We now have 10 days to be evicted or come up with the rest of the rent. I know I need to pay the rent for them because I co-signed. Can I then take the roommate to small claims court to ask for the amount she owes? Or do I even have a case against her because I co-signed?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can take the roommate to small claims.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">