• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tax on rental?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cat2young

My husband inherited a house in Fl this year and we have rented out. I was wondering how the income from the rental is taxed? We have put alot of money in it this year fixing it up.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cat2young:
My husband inherited a house in Fl this year and we have rented out. I was wondering how the income from the rental is taxed? We have put alot of money in it this year fixing it up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whatever your gross rental income for the year is (based on either fiscal or calendar) you take that figure, deduct your expenses and arrive at a net income. Take the net income figure and write the amount on a check payable to the IRS.

Next step. On your 1040 you need to file Schedule E. Take the net income from E and list this amount to 1040 as it is counted as part of your income.

[This message has been edited by HomeGuru (edited November 05, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">