• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can this be Legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

statstat

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

I bought a home in January 2005 from a friend, Mr. X.--all through escrow and mortgage company. I have lived in this house since 1993 and Mr. X's grandchildren lived with me until last year. When escrow closed, he decided to leave some furnishings and personal belongings, such as a piano, dining room table, etc. but this was not stated as part of the escrow papers. Mr. X passed away 2 weeks ago. His daughter (not the mother of the grandchild) is contesting his will. Along with that, she is insisting that the items left in this house are part of his estate and she wants a complete inventory of what's here and then wants it returned to Mr. X's estate. Does she have any legal rights to what is in this house?

HomeGuru

statstat said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

I bought a home in January 2005 from a friend, Mr. X.--all through escrow and mortgage company. I have lived in this house since 1993 and Mr. X's grandchildren lived with me until last year. When escrow closed, he decided to leave some furnishings and personal belongings, such as a piano, dining room table, etc. but this was not stated as part of the escrow papers. Mr. X passed away 2 weeks ago. His daughter (not the mother of the grandchild) is contesting his will. Along with that, she is insisting that the items left in this house are part of his estate and she wants a complete inventory of what's here and then wants it returned to Mr. X's estate. Does she have any legal rights to what is in this house?

**A: yes, especially if his daughter claims that he gave her the items prior to his passing. You will be fighting her in probate court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">