• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prof.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Thomas Pfau

What is the name of your state? NC

My wife just received a speeding ticket for going 78 mi in a 65 zone in Missouri. She can pay the ticket by mail, but I am wondering whether there is reciprocity between our home state, North Carolina, and Missouri. If so, should one expect that our insurance policy would be increased and should we get a lawyer to challenge the ticket out in MO. Competent advice would be most welcome.

Do not just pay the ticket. This will eventually make it back to NC with major inpact -- points assessed as follows:

http://www.ncsu.edu/stud_affairs/legal_services/legaldocs/Trafficpoints.htm

Speeding in excess of 75 miles mph when posted limit is less that 70 mph is 4 insurance points - the same as passing a stopped school bus in NC.... . Also note 75+ is a misdemeanor in NC.

So If you just pay, your insurance will increase 90%. If you can get it dropped to less than 75, the increase drops to 45%. Less than 10 over is no points.

A lawyer can save you money in the long run. There are ticket fix clinics in MO. When I used them several years back, they generally charge a set fee and the state gets about double what the fine would have been. 78 in a 65 in MO is relatively minor in MO so it should be possible to get it reduced enough to avoid major damage in NC.

(I'm not a lawyer but am a former MO resident now in NC and have experience as a "customer" in both states)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">