• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TEXAS 40on a 30 first time 17yrs old HELP!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

magnifiedplaid8

hey, so last week i got stopped for going 40 on a 30. not that bad, right?anywho, im from texas, it's my first time and i really dont know what to do. what happens when i go to court? since im 17 i dont have to go with my parents right cuz i dont want them to find out? how much do you think the ticket will cost???? oh and one more thing, the insurance is under my dads name so will the insurance company find out??????? am i in deep trouble cuz it wasnt my insurance???? im in serious need of some help here guys.....

ENASNI

um tex

Pa is gonna find out when his insurance rates increase. Thats what I know. others may help you on the ticket.

rmet4nzkx

Oh! Dude You are so busted!
Sorry, your parents have to know and if you aren't on the insurance or didn't have permission to drive, they are going to find out anyway, so ya better come clean with then. At least is was only 10 miles over, I hope that is all.

magnifiedplaid8

ok so i tell my parents, they do let me drive the car but they said getting me my own insurance would be too costly...but will the judge or whatever charge me saying I didnt have any insurance even tho the car does have it?

lwpat

Texas Speeding Ticket

This is no big deal. Go ahead and tell your parents. Texas allows either a deferment or traffic school and the ticket will not go on your record. Call the clerk of court and see if you are eligible and then take your choice. You may be able to avoid going to court by agreeing to one of these and paying the fine. Here is a link for more information on Texas Traffic School.

http://www.trafficschoolonline.com/?lcode=4013

I could be wrong but I think in most places, the insurance is on the automobile, other drivers are covered. TX may be different.

The problem could be if your parents have not placed you on their insurance, their insurance could be cancelled if the insurance company finds out. The insurance almost certainly would not pay if you have an accident so your parents would be responsible for any damages, medical, court judgements, etc.

Your parents knowingly allowing you to drive without adding you to their policy may be the larger problem.

carrollton51

I am curious.....how will the insurance company ever find out..( UNTIL he goes to get insurance ) If he is not on the policy they wont be notified will they?

Crazed98

carrollton51 said:
I am curious.....how will the insurance company ever find out..( UNTIL he goes to get insurance ) If he is not on the policy they wont be notified will they?
The person who has insurance on the car will be notified.

The ticket will go to the DMV
DMV > Insurance company
Insurance company > Father

HomeGuru

magnifiedplaid8 said:
ok so i tell my parents, they do let me drive the car but they said getting me my own insurance would be too costly...but will the judge or whatever charge me saying I didnt have any insurance even tho the car does have it?

**A: you should not be driving until you are 21. That will give you enough time to read and understand the traffic and insurance laws.

carrollton51

Crazed98 said:
The person who has insurance on the car will be notified.

The ticket will go to the DMV
DMV > Insurance company
Insurance company > Father
I had never heard that. So if I borrow my mothers car, and get a ticket, HER insurance company will be notified?

( I am well over 21 by the way :eek: )

Crazed98

carrollton51 said:
I had never heard that. So if I borrow my mothers car, and get a ticket, HER insurance company will be notified?

( I am well over 21 by the way :eek: )

It would depend on whose insurance company covered the driver if your moms insurance covers anyone who gets into her car yes it will yours will also go up.

marbol

Crazed98 said:
It would depend on whose insurance company covered the driver if your moms insurance covers anyone who gets into her car yes it will yours will also go up.
No. Texas insurance is different. It's highly regulated. At least it was a few years ago.

On my insurance, I am covered on whatever vehicle I get into as far as LIABILITY insurance only. So even though I only insure my wifes and my vehicle, if I get into a friends car, I'm covered. If I get into a rental car, I'm covered. In fact, if I wreck my rental car, the liability portion covers the car I hit, plus my liability to the rental car company. Been there done that - many years ago.

If I get a ticket and it's reported to my insurance company, they MAY NOT raise my rates. What they do is decide at my next insurance renewal period when my current insurance coverage expires, whether or not they want to continue to cover me on the same policy or not. If they don't, then I go looking for insurance, and it's going to be more expensive because of the ticket.

Texas does not use "POINTS" on driving records. I've been driving in Texas for more than 30 years and I've had many tickets but not so many as even one point.

If you have a clean driving record for the last several years then they will ALWAYS allow you to take defensive driving to dismiss the ticket. If not, then some jurisdictions will allow a deferment, and then dismissal for 10 MPH over. You pay a fee, and then if you don't get any more tickets in a 3 month period, your ticket will be dismissed.

So, both of the above options will result in dismisall, which means NO insurance company will find out - and no insurance premiums will be raised, and no one knows, and it doesn't go on your driving record.

All of the above apply to drivers who are 18 or older. Your mileage may vary since you are under 18, but depending on how much under 18 you are, the judge can offer leeway.

try it. Go to the court and ask. It won't hurt.

marbol

HomeGuru said:
**A: you should not be driving until you are 21. That will give you enough time to read and understand the traffic and insurance laws.
Going 10 MPH over? Come one. I live in Texas and they set the speed limits so low that everyone drives 10MPH over. If not, you get run into from behind.

This person shouldn't get that kind of a response. Maybe if they were going 25 MPH over or something, then maybe.

Lighten up. We don't need colisseum mentality.

Crazed98

marbol said:
No. Texas insurance is different. It's highly regulated. At least it was a few years ago.

On my insurance, I am covered on whatever vehicle I get into as far as LIABILITY insurance only. So even though I only insure my wifes and my vehicle, if I get into a friends car, I'm covered. If I get into a rental car, I'm covered. In fact, if I wreck my rental car, the liability portion covers the car I hit, plus my liability to the rental car company. Been there done that - many years ago.

If I get a ticket and it's reported to my insurance company, they MAY NOT raise my rates. What they do is decide at my next insurance renewal period when my current insurance coverage expires, whether or not they want to continue to cover me on the same policy or not. If they don't, then I go looking for insurance, and it's going to be more expensive because of the ticket.

Texas does not use "POINTS" on driving records. I've been driving in Texas for more than 30 years and I've had many tickets but not so many as even one point.

If you have a clean driving record for the last several years then they will ALWAYS allow you to take defensive driving to dismiss the ticket. If not, then some jurisdictions will allow a deferment, and then dismissal for 10 MPH over. You pay a fee, and then if you don't get any more tickets in a 3 month period, your ticket will be dismissed.

So, both of the above options will result in dismisall, which means NO insurance company will find out - and no insurance premiums will be raised, and no one knows, and it doesn't go on your driving record.

All of the above apply to drivers who are 18 or older. Your mileage may vary since you are under 18, but depending on how much under 18 you are, the judge can offer leeway.

try it. Go to the court and ask. It won't hurt.

I was just stating both insurances have a chance at going up depending on the situation if points were added but thanks for clearing that up.

keith.e

Your parents will find out easily because they send defensive driving postcards in the mail.

Anyhow, in your situation I'd probably just do the defensive driving. You're a minor and once you take the course it shouldn't be reported to your insurance. Also, once you take the course you'll be able to send in the certificate and save your parents 10% on the insurance they pay for you over the year (if they do pay for you -- I don't know, maybe you pay for yourself).

I sent in my plea of not guilty today. I don't know about the rest of Texas, but in my county the cost to take defensive driving increased by 100% over the last year and a half. It used to be $30 to the court, plus $30 for the course which is reasonable. Now it's $95 to the court and $30 for the course.

With all the awful planning this city has done in regards to the traffic system, it's ridiculous that the fines go up in order to pay for poor foresight (i.e. poorly designed highway systems + increases in big businesses = higher population, traffic, accidents)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">