• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights of unmarried home owner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mrs. cmh

My daughter and her fiancee bought a new house in December, 1998. In February, 2000, he ended the 7 year relationship. My daughter has stayed in the house since that time and they have shared the house payments(each paying 1/2 every month). They have not been successful in selling the house. Both names are on the mortgage and deed. He has now informed my daughter he will no longer help with the house payments. She will make the payment herself but needs to know her rights as far as selling the house(possible without his approval). He has asked her to move out so he can move in but she is fearful he will default on the mortgage so has refused(he was the one who ended the relationship - which happened quite suddenly and was unexpected) Is there anyway my daughter could re finance in her name only? What other options, if any, are we missing? They live in Nevada.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrs. cmh:
My daughter and her fiancee bought a new house in December, 1998. In February, 2000, he ended the 7 year relationship. My daughter has stayed in the house since that time and they have shared the house payments(each paying 1/2 every month). They have not been successful in selling the house. Both names are on the mortgage and deed. He has now informed my daughter he will no longer help with the house payments. She will make the payment herself but needs to know her rights as far as selling the house(possible without his approval). He has asked her to move out so he can move in but she is fearful he will default on the mortgage so has refused(he was the one who ended the relationship - which happened quite suddenly and was unexpected) Is there anyway my daughter could re finance in her name only? What other options, if any, are we missing? They live in Nevada. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

If she has the ability to refinance, then she can sue him for "partition". Under the court orders, one of them will then be able to refinance and buy the other out, without a signature. If neither wants to buy the other out, then the court will order that the house be sold, and the assets divided equally in Nevada, which is a community property State.

So, now that he has threatened to ruin his and her credit by refusing to abide by his contractual obligations under the mortgage contract, time is now of the very essence for her to see an attorney, and to begin a partition action.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">