• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony paid through the courts?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gaile

What is the name of your state? Florida

I want to have my exhusband make my spousal support payments directly to the court instead of to me, is this possible? If it is, would it make enforcement easier?

Also, I wish to leave the state and live where my daughter lives but I am afraid to, will this make it difficult if not impossible to collect spousal support if my husband decides not to pay (which he has done in the past)? Would it be wiser for me to remain living in the same state?

LdiJ

Gaile said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

I want to have my exhusband make my spousal support payments directly to the court instead of to me, is this possible? If it is, would it make enforcement easier?

Also, I wish to leave the state and live where my daughter lives but I am afraid to, will this make it difficult if not impossible to collect spousal support if my husband decides not to pay (which he has done in the past)? Would it be wiser for me to remain living in the same state?
Has your ex-husband been negligent in making the spousal support payments?....or do you have a reason to assume that he will be negligent?

While there could be some added amount of complication to enforce spousal support if you live in a different state....it shouldn't arise to the level of "difficult if not impossible to collect"...and if it does, then its equally possible that it could be just as difficult to collect even if you are in the same state.

Gaile

Yes, he has been deliquent in payments, very nearly causing me to lose my home, which I have put up for sale for fear it could happen again. I am 70 yrs old this year and disabled with only $250 per mo social security coming in, without his spousal support I starve. He is 55 (and has married his 45 yr old mistress.) So you see how important this is to me.

LdiJ

Gaile said:
Yes, he has been deliquent in payments, very nearly causing me to lose my home, which I have put up for sale for fear it could happen again. I am 70 yrs old this year and disabled with only $250 per mo social security coming in, without his spousal support I starve. He is 55 (and has married his 45 yr old mistress.) So you see how important this is to me.
I recommend that you get a consult with a local attorney. Many attorneys will give free or low cost initial consultations. That will help you get a better idea of your options.

I suspect that what you really need is not for him to be required to pay through the courts, but for him to have to pay via a wage garnishment. However a local attorney can best advise you.

VeronicaGia

Gaile said:
This is one of the many problems with counting on an ex to support you. What if he dies? What if he becomes disabled himself? What if he gets sues and loses everything? What if he simply disappears? What if he retires? Somehow you need to come up with a way to be more independent so you don't have to count on him or anyone else. Life just doesn't go the way we plan.

LdiJ

VeronicaGia said:
This is one of the many problems with counting on an ex to support you. What if he dies? What if he becomes disabled himself? What if he gets sues and loses everything? What if he simply disappears? What if he retires? Somehow you need to come up with a way to be more independent so you don't have to count on him or anyone else. Life just doesn't go the way we plan.
She is 70 years old....he is 55. I have a really good idea what is going on here and she probably deserves every penny of that alimony.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">