• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Aunt signing house over to nephew

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shepper9

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Although I am in TN., my 87 year old Aunt lives in North Carolina in a home worth approximately $100.000 ( payed for) that she intends to leave to me. I am trying so hard to help her from 600 miles away, but she has somehow run up over $50,000 in credit card debt with nothing to show for it. She insists it is her debt and that no one could have "borrowed" her identity. Lately, she has me on the phone every day with a new debt consolidator's name, or a gutter repair man that showed up out of the blue. I fear she will lose everything that others in my family worked their lifetime to buy this little house. Yes, part of it is just looking after my own selfish interests as I do not want to inherit a mortgage and have to buy the house all over again. What both of us wonder is this: Can the home be put in my name and, if so, do these companies still have recourse against the property to settle any bills unpaid at the time of her passing. I hope she lives forever but, realistically, what is the best way to handle this? Thank you so much for any help.

JETX

Shepper9 said:
Can the home be put in my name
Yes. One way is for her to sign a quit claim transferring ownership to you.

do these companies still have recourse against the property to settle any bills unpaid at the time of her passing.
Depends. If she were to pass immediately after transferring ownership, the creditors MIGHT try to claim fraudulent transfer.... but that would depend on the specifics of the transfer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">