• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding in Tennessee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Subplotted

I am a resident of Ontario, Canada. Wasn't paying attention and the car got away from me on one of those Tennessee 5% grades Memorial Day - 92 in a 70 for a brief moment but of course the trooper was there at that moment. Wouldn't have hurt so much if I had really been trying to get somewhere in a hurry - or if the trooper had cut me a little bit of slack. So other than the ethical considerations - what can the state of Tennessee do to me if I choose not to pay?

Curt581

Subplotted said:
I am a resident of Ontario, Canada. Wasn't paying attention and the car got away from me on one of those Tennessee 5% grades Memorial Day - 92 in a 70 for a brief moment but of course the trooper was there at that moment. Wouldn't have hurt so much if I had really been trying to get somewhere in a hurry - or if the trooper had cut me a little bit of slack. So other than the ethical considerations - what can the state of Tennessee do to me if I choose not to pay?
Will they extradite you from Canada for a speeding ticket? No.

What they can do is throw your butt in jail the next time you're stopped in Tenessee. I know what you're thinking... but never say never. And those warrants do not go away.

Subplotted

I hear you. Just out of curiosity, though - presumably a warrant is issued in Tennessee if I fail to pay or show up in court. If I was caught in another US state, would it show up there and would they be able to make an arrest on behalf of Tennessee?

Labtec600

re

"I hear you. Just out of curiosity, though - presumably a warrant is issued in Tennessee if I fail to pay or show up in court. If I was caught in another US state, would it show up there and would they be able to make an arrest on behalf of Tennessee?"

Pretty much no.

You'll get a warrant for your arrest for something like Failure to pay fines and fees and whatnot.

These things usually have a pick up range, depending on the city. Lets say in you're case, it's 50 miles.

So if you're anywhere within 50 miles of the city, even if it's in another state, you would be jailed. (Unless you happen to be carrying enough for bond on you). So yes, it's going to show up if a officer runs your plate.

But like Curt said, they dont go away and even though you live in Canada, you never know when something will come back and bite you in the ass.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">