• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding In Georgia, Please help me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

agirlnamedwilla

I was pulled over for speeding 60 MPH in a 35 MPH speed limit. I am a seventeen year old female with a class D license. I reside in Atlanta, Georgia, more specifically, Dekalb County. I am to appear in court in July. I realize that having my license suspended for a 6 month period is QUITE a possibility.
Is there any way I can get out of this without a suspension of my license? Alternatives? Defensive driving classes, fines? Please help me.
Willa

Shay-Pari'e

First of all, you just got 4 points for that speed. Here is the Georgia law regarding you only having a class D. Learn from it and sloooooooooooooooooooow down.

IMPORTANT NEWS FOR TEENAGE DRIVERS!!

The new teen driving law goes into effect on January 1, 2002, and in particular effects 16-17 year olds. 16 and 17 year olds hold a Class D license. This type of license has the following restrictions:
During the first 6 months, a class D holder cannot have any passenger who is not an immediate family member;
After 6 months, a Class D holder cannot have more than 3 passengers under 21, unless they are immediate family;
Class D holders cannot drive between 12 midnite and 6 a.m. NO EXCEPTIONS!
Any Class D holder who accumulates 4 or more points during a 12 month period has the license suspended for a minimum 6 months;
Once reaching age 18, a Class D holder can apply for a Class C license only if they have held a valid D license for 12 months prior to such application.

Shay-Pari'e

NOPE, except to learn and slow down and drive like a responsible person. If you came flying through a 30 mile an hour speed in front of my home, I'd be in jail also.

A car is not a toy, and you were just deemed irreponsible to drive one under Georgia law.
Why didn't you ask your parents this question? They knew the answer.

lwpat

There is no excuse for driving 60 in a 35. Six months without a license would be about right but the cost to you and your parents of your insurance is going to be the real kick in the pocketbook.

Actually there are several procedural defenses available depending on the circumstances. It just depends on how much time and effort you and your parents are willing to spend on either the necessary research or on retaining an attorney. Figure out how much this is going to cost if it goes on your record and then decide.

agirlnamedwilla

Luckily the court date won't be until the 25 of July, so there is a good span of time for effort, as well as research, to be made. For the most part, the general responses I've received from fellow Georgians have been somewhat tremulous. Some people say I will have points deducted from the 4 I have automatically received just for showing up to court. Some say whether my license will be suspended or not really depends on the leniency of the judge.
Willa

dkpd73

Get a lawyer and pursue an alternative sentence. I was in court with a 16yo last Tuesday, with a whole boatload of charges, and the judge dropped them all because the 16yo had completed some course or the other. It was in Dekalb County.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">