• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unreasonable lanlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

VivianL

Hi,

I have just recently terminate my tenancy agreement with my landlord. I have gave him a two months notice in writing, as per required in the tenancy agreement.

The house is a double storey link . In which I have stayed for 18 months.

I have handovered the house to the landlord, in which he brought with him an inventory Checklist and a witness, his brother-in-law.

They took their time went through the inventory Check list and even check the tape water and toilet flush. After they have check through everything, he gave me a cheque for the two months rental deposit . However he withold the Utility deposit and said that he will refund that to me upon deducted all the outstanding utilities bills. In which we signed at the back of the inventory saying that the landlord has confirmed and received the keys from the tenant and the tenant confirmed received the two months rental deposit and the utility deposit will be refunded to tenant upon deducted all the outstanding utilities bills.

On the next day, he called me and said that he has requested someone to cut the grasses of the garden and a plumber to repair the toilet drain pipe at the groundfloor. And he wanted to charge that on me.

My question are :-

(1) He has check through every thing on the day before and found that everything is satisfactory thus return me the two months rental for security deposit. Can he still charge me on the two items.

(2)Isn't the utility deposit only meant for deducting any outstanding utility bill. In the tenancy agreement, the utility deposit is defined as deposit for the use and supply of water and electricity.

(3) What is my right and where should I complain to.

Please advise.

Thanks and Regards

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VivianL:
Hi,

I have just recently terminate my tenancy agreement with my landlord. I have gave him a two months notice in writing, as per required in the tenancy agreement.

The house is a double storey link . In which I have stayed for 18 months.

I have handovered the house to the landlord, in which he brought with him an inventory Checklist and a witness, his brother-in-law.

They took their time went through the inventory Check list and even check the tape water and toilet flush. After they have check through everything, he gave me a cheque for the two months rental deposit . However he withold the Utility deposit and said that he will refund that to me upon deducted all the outstanding utilities bills. In which we signed at the back of the inventory saying that the landlord has confirmed and received the keys from the tenant and the tenant confirmed received the two months rental deposit and the utility deposit will be refunded to tenant upon deducted all the outstanding utilities bills.

On the next day, he called me and said that he has requested someone to cut the grasses of the garden and a plumber to repair the toilet drain pipe at the groundfloor. And he wanted to charge that on me.

My question are :-

(1) He has check through every thing on the day before and found that everything is satisfactory thus return me the two months rental for security deposit. Can he still charge me on the two items.

(2)Isn't the utility deposit only meant for deducting any outstanding utility bill. In the tenancy agreement, the utility deposit is defined as deposit for the use and supply of water and electricity.

(3) What is my right and where should I complain to.

Please advise.

Thanks and Regards
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It sounds like this property is located outside of the US. If so, I am unable to help you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">