• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

eviction over a cat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tacjohnson

I have lived in my apt complex for 8 years. I moved from a studio to a one bedroom 3 years ago. I asked to put a deposit down on a stray cat that i found. The manager at the time told me that it was ok to have the cat and i didnt need a deposit. I failed to get that in writing. One year later a new manager came to our complex. She knew I had a cat and nothing was ever said till 4 weeks ago. I was told i would be evicted if I didnt get rid of her because I didnt have a deposit on her. I immediately asked if I could put a deposit on her now. She said no.
I have placed the animal with a friend who can no longer take her. I have one week till my pet will be put to sleep. My lease states that I can have an animal with the managers approval which I had. I would like to find out if I have any legal rights to keeping my animal?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tacjohnson:
I have lived in my apt complex for 8 years. I moved from a studio to a one bedroom 3 years ago. I asked to put a deposit down on a stray cat that i found. The manager at the time told me that it was ok to have the cat and i didnt need a deposit. I failed to get that in writing. One year later a new manager came to our complex. She knew I had a cat and nothing was ever said till 4 weeks ago. I was told i would be evicted if I didnt get rid of her because I didnt have a deposit on her. I immediately asked if I could put a deposit on her now. She said no.
I have placed the animal with a friend who can no longer take her. I have one week till my pet will be put to sleep. My lease states that I can have an animal with the managers approval which I had. I would like to find out if I have any legal rights to keeping my animal?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Read your lease again, does in not say that pets are allowed with the managers written approval?

T

tacjohnson

Actualy, no it states the no tenant may bring a animal into the leased apartment without the approval of the manager. Believe me, Iver read my lease over countles times.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
Read your lease again, does in not say that pets are allowed with the managers written approval? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tacjohnson:
Actualy, no it states the no tenant may bring a animal into the leased apartment without the approval of the manager. Believe me, Iver read my lease over countles times.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Based on that, no cat.

If you are willing to risk possible eviction and moving let me know.

[This message has been edited by HomeGuru (edited November 06, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">