• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prolonged Illness and eviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Deanna_Cupp

Hi,
I'm 59 years old and am not allowed to work because of illness. My landlord has not given me an eviction notice yet, but my illness has severly limited my ability to pay. I would pay my rent if I could, but my doctor won't ok me to go back to work until after surgery, and he is still waiting for tests results before he will schedule the surgery. If given an eviction notice do I have any legal recourse, because I can't even afford a deposit on a new apartment?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deanna_Cupp:
Hi,
I'm 59 years old and am not allowed to work because of illness. My landlord has not given me an eviction notice yet, but my illness has severly limited my ability to pay. I would pay my rent if I could, but my doctor won't ok me to go back to work until after surgery, and he is still waiting for tests results before he will schedule the surgery. If given an eviction notice do I have any legal recourse, because I can't even afford a deposit on a new apartment?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you have no recourse for nonpayment but you could get the doc to give you a letter of explanation that the judge could read. If you are out of work why are you not getting some sort of workmans comp, industrial or other benefits? This is a long shot but do you qualify for unemployment insurance or early SS benefits?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">