• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

promise to rent--change my mind--can I be sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

emem

I promised a person that I was going to rent him my apartment. We agreed on the date he could move in and he gave me a check with a security deposit and the first month rent. He is in a hotel waiting for me to move out on the date we agreed. He stopped looking for an apart, since I promised him that I will rent my apart to him. I also let him move his furniture in my apart last week.
I changed my mind and do not want to rent my apart to him. No specific reason...I just got a better offer for the apart. He has threatened me that he will go to a lawyer and go to court if needed. We never signed any lease yet.
Can he sue me? Can he make me pay for his hotel fees? Is there a case here? Does verbal agreement gives him any right? The property is in VA.
Please help....thanks a lot.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by emem:
I promised a person that I was going to rent him my apartment. We agreed on the date he could move in and he gave me a check with a security deposit and the first month rent. He is in a hotel waiting for me to move out on the date we agreed. He stopped looking for an apart, since I promised him that I will rent my apart to him. I also let him move his furniture in my apart last week.
I changed my mind and do not want to rent my apart to him. No specific reason...I just got a better offer for the apart. He has threatened me that he will go to a lawyer and go to court if needed. We never signed any lease yet.
Can he sue me? Can he make me pay for his hotel fees? Is there a case here? Does verbal agreement gives him any right? The property is in VA.
Please help....thanks a lot.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, yes, yes and yes. And if I was in his position, I would sue you too. Do yourself a favor, stop the greed and do not go back on your word.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">