• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Tenancy & Homestead Exemption in FL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bpabbott

What is the name of your state?I live in Seminole County, Florida.

My girl friend and I desire to file a quit claim deed for joint tenancy. However, I'm not familiar with how a joint tenance (with rights to survivorship) effects Homestead Exemption in the State of Florida.

Does a change from 'sole ownership' to 'joint tenancy' effect either homestead tax exceptions, or homestead asset protection in the state of Florida?

Are there any other issues, I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

HomeGuru

bpabbott said:
What is the name of your state?I live in Seminole County, Florida.

My girl friend and I desire to file a quit claim deed for joint tenancy. However, I'm not familiar with how a joint tenance (with rights to survivorship) effects Homestead Exemption in the State of Florida.

Does a change from 'sole ownership' to 'joint tenancy' effect either homestead tax exceptions, or homestead asset protection in the state of Florida?

Are there any other issues, I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!
**A: yes, there are other issues. Consult a real estate attorney.

bpabbott

It occurred to me that I should mention that neither myself nor my girlfriend own any other residences (or real estate property, in general).

Regards
B. Abbott

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">