• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LL will not return deposit in VA.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

romeo23464

I rented a studio apt. for 4 months. There is a lease, and the lease states that the L/L will be responsible for "all" utilities. The L/L lives upstairs. During the 4 months I only stayed aprox. 15 nights. I paid the rent in a timely manor and the deposit too. The deposit amt was $400.00. The apts utilities are connected w/ the L/L's. On the last month my brother, his wife and their 3 children stayed w/me for 3 nights. A week later my best friend, her husband and child stayed w/me for 3 nights. This upset my L/L to the highest degree. My lease states that the deposit will be returned w/in 14 days, "together with a statement showing any charges made against such deposits by L/L." On the last day that I moved out she handed me a piece of paper that states she will hold the deposit untill she receives the utillity bills and subtracts what my friends used at her expense. Can she do this? I have just filed a suit against her in small claims court. BTW, I never had any hot water the entire time I lived there. When I went to collect my deposit she handed me a check for $50.00 and said if you want more, take me to court. I asked her to explain, she shut the door on me. She provided me with no documentation of anything. I have on video the condition of the apt (excellent). Do you think I will win in court? I only asked for the amt of the deposit and court fees. Should I have asked for more?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by romeo23464:
I rented a studio apt. for 4 months. There is a lease, and the lease states that the L/L will be responsible for "all" utilities. The L/L lives upstairs. During the 4 months I only stayed aprox. 15 nights. I paid the rent in a timely manor and the deposit too. The deposit amt was $400.00. The apts utilities are connected w/ the L/L's. On the last month my brother, his wife and their 3 children stayed w/me for 3 nights. A week later my best friend, her husband and child stayed w/me for 3 nights. This upset my L/L to the highest degree. My lease states that the deposit will be returned w/in 14 days, "together with a statement showing any charges made against such deposits by L/L." On the last day that I moved out she handed me a piece of paper that states she will hold the deposit untill she receives the utillity bills and subtracts what my friends used at her expense. Can she do this? I have just filed a suit against her in small claims court. BTW, I never had any hot water the entire time I lived there. When I went to collect my deposit she handed me a check for $50.00 and said if you want more, take me to court. I asked her to explain, she shut the door on me. She provided me with no documentation of anything. I have on video the condition of the apt (excellent). Do you think I will win in court? I only asked for the amt of the deposit and court fees. Should I have asked for more? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When did your lease end and when did you move out? Did L ever give you an accounting of deductions to your security deposit?

R

romeo23464

The lease was month to month. I gave her notice on July 20th, that I would be moving on Aug 31st. NO she never provided me with any documentation or copies of any utilities to validate her claims, (whatever they might be)On my last day there she handed me a piece of notebook paper where she had written down that she was going to "hold" my deposit untill she received all utility bills, and then she would subtract what my friends used at her expense. I gave her plenty of time (over 30 days) and then I went to collect my deposit. And that is when she gave me the $50.00. And you know the rest. BTW, she states on this piece of paper that she would provide me w/copies of the utilities, which she did not. Her lease also states that she would provide me with a list of any (if any) deductions at time of return of deposit. My court date is in 1 week. Any advice would be great. Im worried she is going to lie about something.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by romeo23464:
The lease was month to month. I gave her notice on July 20th, that I would be moving on Aug 31st. NO she never provided me with any documentation or copies of any utilities to validate her claims, (whatever they might be)On my last day there she handed me a piece of notebook paper where she had written down that she was going to "hold" my deposit untill she received all utility bills, and then she would subtract what my friends used at her expense. I gave her plenty of time (over 30 days) and then I went to collect my deposit. And that is when she gave me the $50.00. And you know the rest. BTW, she states on this piece of paper that she would provide me w/copies of the utilities, which she did not. Her lease also states that she would provide me with a list of any (if any) deductions at time of return of deposit. My court date is in 1 week. Any advice would be great. Im worried she is going to lie about something.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look up the State Statutes and educate yourself. In court, testitfy that L did not provide you with an accounting, receipts etc. from the time you moved out to the current date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">