• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The definition of Loud Music.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bruce Liu

What is the name of your state?CA

I bought a piano ten years ago. I play it sometimes at apts before 9:00pm. I have played piano in an apt since I had moved in. Yesterday, a security guard reached me and told me that a resident called him to tell me to tune down to play. I played again like before. The guy reached me second time and told me that no playing or he would call police.
There are some people play it but I was the one to be reported. He couldn’t tell me what’s the definition of “no loud music” – the policy of the atp. I’m waiting for the definition of “no loud music” from the apt. (I guess the reporter is a new resident.)
Could I keep playing?
What should I do if a police reaches me?
What’s the definition of the “loud music”? Who could tell me that?
What’s the advice?

CdwJava

Bruce Liu said:
I bought a piano ten years ago. I play it sometimes at apts before 9:00pm. I have played piano in an apt since I had moved in. Yesterday, a security guard reached me and told me that a resident called him to tell me to tune down to play. I played again like before. The guy reached me second time and told me that no playing or he would call police.
There are some people play it but I was the one to be reported. He couldn’t tell me what’s the definition of “no loud music” – the policy of the atp. I’m waiting for the definition of “no loud music” from the apt. (I guess the reporter is a new resident.)
Could I keep playing?
What should I do if a police reaches me?
What’s the definition of the “loud music”? Who could tell me that?
What’s the advice?
The security guard enforces the CCRs (Covenants, Codes and Regulations) of the apartment complex and NOT the laws of the state of California.

Had the police been called, the disturbed tenant, manager, or the guard could have signed a citizen's arrest for disturbing the peace. However, since you must be aware - or reasonably know - that your activity is disturbing the peace of another, you would likely have been told by an officer to stop playing for the night and that a future response might result in your arrest or citation.

Since CA law generally revolves around what is "reasonable", the definition of "loud music" is not going to be static unless your jurisdiction has it defined in a municipal code somewhere. Being loud on the piano at 9 PM is likely sufficient to qualify for disturbing the peace, so I wouldn't push it.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">