• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

moving company damaged landlord's floor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jimpotts

On October 1st, I moved out of a house I was renting and the moving companay damaged the linoleum floor in the kitchen (2" x 2" tear). The floor is 10 years old and there is no way to patch the floor. The moving company has offered to replace the floor at a maximum of $200. The floor is 144 square feet, which would equate to $1.38 per square foot for removal and installation. The landlord received 4 quotes and the lowest quote was $565 ($3.92 square foot for removal and installation). The landlord has agreed to accept $415 from the moving company, but the moving company is convinced that it can be replaced for $200, but wants me to kick in $100 for the removal. This has been going on for 38 days now and I still do not have my deposit back from the landlord, due to the damaged floor. The moving company is taking their time since they have already received payment for their services and they have no incentive to fix the problem quickly. I am stuck in the middle. What should I do? What responsibility does the moving company have? Who determines the cost of the damage? When should I get my deposit back?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimpotts:
On October 1st, I moved out of a house I was renting and the moving companay damaged the linoleum floor in the kitchen (2" x 2" tear). The floor is 10 years old and there is no way to patch the floor. The moving company has offered to replace the floor at a maximum of $200. The floor is 144 square feet, which would equate to $1.38 per square foot for removal and installation. The landlord received 4 quotes and the lowest quote was $565 ($3.92 square foot for removal and installation). The landlord has agreed to accept $415 from the moving company, but the moving company is convinced that it can be replaced for $200, but wants me to kick in $100 for the removal. This has been going on for 38 days now and I still do not have my deposit back from the landlord, due to the damaged floor. The moving company is taking their time since they have already received payment for their services and they have no incentive to fix the problem quickly. I am stuck in the middle. What should I do? What responsibility does the moving company have? Who determines the cost of the damage? When should I get my deposit back?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Send a certified letter to the moving company to pay up within x days or you will file an action in small claims court.

J

jimpotts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
Send a certified letter to the moving company to pay up within x days or you will file an action in small claims court.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dear HomeGuru
Should I ask the moving company to pay the $200 or the $300 (which would include the removal of the old floor) or the $415 that the landlord is requesting?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimpotts:
Originally posted by HomeGuru:
Send a certified letter to the moving company to pay up within x days or you will file an action in small claims court.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dear HomeGuru
Should I ask the moving company to pay the $200 or the $300 (which would include the removal of the old floor) or the $415 that the landlord is requesting?
$415.00

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">