• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

eminent domain: can I do it to state land?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greg802

Can I claim Eminent domain in Vermont if I have been taking care of the state land that borders me for the past 4 years? what is the statute on this?

greg802 said:
Can I claim Eminent domain in Vermont if I have been taking care of the state land that borders me for the past 4 years? what is the statute on this?
No. Eminent domain occurs when the government forces the sale of private property for the benefit of the public.

HomeGuru

greg802 said:

**A: absolutely not and not even if you took care of the land for 1000 years.

Squirrelz

What if it doesn't benefit the public? In my situation it's looking like they want to build a parking garage for a hospital.

Squirrelz

Squirrelz said:
What if it doesn't benefit the public? In my situation it's looking like they want to build a parking garage for a hospital.
Let me clarify that statement. They want to build a parking garage for hospital employees, although the other lots they made are never full.

Squirrelz

Why should I? I'm responding to one of the other posters who said they could take property for the benefit of the public. I wasn't asking for help for my specific situation, did that in another thread.

Last edited:

Happy Trails

Squirrelz said:
Why should I? I'm responding to one of the other posters who said they could take property for the benefit of the public. I wasn't asking for help for my specific situation, did that in another thread.
Because this thread is from June 2005!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">