• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

REMC Electric Hookup in new addition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ron Kuykendall

What is the name of your state? Indiana
I recently purchased some property in Clark County Indiana and am in the process of having a house built. The electric has been installed across the front of my property and I was told to get a temporary hookup for the contractor I needed to join the REMC and pay a $75 deposit (which I did). I was told the electric was to be hooked up Tuesday or Wednesday of last week.
The builder notified me today (Monday) he was still using a generator since the electric had not been hooked up. When I called REMC I was told it would not be hooked up until the developer paid for the installation of the electric lines into the development (He apparently had an $11,000 check bounce). I am unsure if the REMC can legally do this since I joined and was the member without any knowledge of what was going on here. If they are allowed to do this it would appear they could say I or any of the other properties here will not be able to have any electric service ever which would make our property worthless.
My question is: Is this legal? How could I be held responsible for a contract with a developer? Can this REMC deprive the residents of their electricity? It seems they are punishing us for what someone else has done.
Ron Kuykendall
[email protected]

HomeGuru

Ron Kuykendall said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana
I recently purchased some property in Clark County Indiana and am in the process of having a house built. The electric has been installed across the front of my property and I was told to get a temporary hookup for the contractor I needed to join the REMC and pay a $75 deposit (which I did). I was told the electric was to be hooked up Tuesday or Wednesday of last week.
The builder notified me today (Monday) he was still using a generator since the electric had not been hooked up. When I called REMC I was told it would not be hooked up until the developer paid for the installation of the electric lines into the development (He apparently had an $11,000 check bounce). I am unsure if the REMC can legally do this since I joined and was the member without any knowledge of what was going on here. If they are allowed to do this it would appear they could say I or any of the other properties here will not be able to have any electric service ever which would make our property worthless.
My question is: Is this legal? How could I be held responsible for a contract with a developer? Can this REMC deprive the residents of their electricity? It seems they are punishing us for what someone else has done.
Ron Kuykendall
[email protected]
**A: yes the REMC can do that. The developer defaulted on his contract with REMC.

Ron Kuykendall

Indiana
If a REMC has stopped the installation of electric to the homes in a development due to the developer not paying for electric installation then will the property owners have to pay for the electric installation in order to get electric service?
Ron Kuykendall
[email protected]

HomeGuru

Ron Kuykendall said:
Indiana
If a REMC has stopped the installation of electric to the homes in a development due to the developer not paying for electric installation then will the property owners have to pay for the electric installation in order to get electric service?
Ron Kuykendall
[email protected]

**A: yes..................You should contact the REMC and ask about the developer's agreement for the subdivision. You will learn a few things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">