• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do I have a right.......

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

right123

What is the name of your state? Maryland

My father owned a home with his girlfriend and both of their names are on the deed. My dad passed the end of 2004 and his girlfriend is now trying to sell the house. As his only child, do I have a right to collect on any of this money when she sells the house?

divgradcurl

right123 said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland

My father owned a home with his girlfriend and both of their names are on the deed. My dad passed the end of 2004 and his girlfriend is now trying to sell the house. As his only child, do I have a right to collect on any of this money when she sells the house?
If the house was titled as joint tenants with rights of survivorship, then no -- once he died, she became the sole owner of the house.

If the house was titled as tenants in common, then you could have rights to some or all of his share in the house -- it would depend on whether or not there was a will, and what the will provided.

hsommer

Curious myself...what if dad had left the house to the girlfriend in his will. Then the child(ren) have no legal grounds to any of the money received from the sell of the house?

divgradcurl

hsommer said:
Curious myself...what if dad had left the house to the girlfriend in his will. Then the child(ren) have no legal grounds to any of the money received from the sell of the house?
Of course not -- the house belongs to the girlfriend. If dad had wanted the kids to have anything, he would have provided for them in the will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">