• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless driving in Fairfax County VA, 81 in 55, already had one speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lindskf

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? VA

I had a CT license at the time, just got a VA one today. I had also gotten a speeding ticket about a month prior to this one, also in Fairfax County with the old CT license. I already completed an online drivers improvement course and plan on having my speedometer calibrated. What kind of penalty can I expect? How do I get the charge reduced? Will I be alright without a lawyer? I am willing to pay the money but I do not want my license suspended. Please help!

cranger

I had a similar incident in Fairfax County about a year ago (82/55). Had a couple of older minor speeding tickets. But, I really didn't want a misdemeanor on my record so I got an attorney. Ended up getting it reduced to Improper Driving, with a $150 fine. Think I was somewhat lucky. From sitting in the courtroom that day, I don't think ANY of the reckless driving people representing themselves had their charge reduced. Representing yourself, I would anticipate something like $250 fine and no suspension (but a misdemeanor on your record).

lindskf

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. I guess my ultimate question is do I need a lawyer? If I dont get one, what should I expect? Any other opinions still welcome!!

cranger

Up to you if you want a lawyer. Essentially no chance of jail time, and very slim chance of license suspension. Only thing a lawyer could possibly do is get the prosecutor to agree to a lesser charge (decent chance), or take it to trial if there's some circumstance to question the charge on (slim chance).

What I said before is what I'd expect without a lawyer, guilty of reckless driving (criminal charge), and ~$250 fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">