• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding 100/70: reckless driving?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tfraser6

What is the name of your state? Michigan

This happened a few months ago. I was coming home from a friend's house in the northern regions of the state. Got a little carried away, didn't realize my speed. Crept to 100 and I was gunned before I could slow down. I complied with everything the officer said, he searched my car to make sure I wasn't carrying any illegal drugs or weapons. Wrote my ticket for a Civil Infraction 100/70 speeding ticket. A few days later I called to court to get the information about the ticket. She said it was 4 points and a $230 fine. I paid, and continued on. Yesterday, my mom called the insurance company and we were told that they would not insure me any longer because I had an 8 point reckless driving ticket.

Now, my question is, is it possible I could have been charged with reckless driving, even though there was never mention of it from the officer, on the ticket, or from the court? Not to mention, if i'm not mistaken, reckless driving is a misdemeanor, and I was only written for a civil infraction. I had a 5 over speeding ticket about 6-7 months ago, but no points were added, I simply paid the fine. Also, I am 18 years old.

If more information is needed, please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

tfraser6 said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

This happened a few months ago. I was coming home from a friend's house in the northern regions of the state. Got a little carried away, didn't realize my speed. Crept to 100 and I was gunned before I could slow down. I complied with everything the officer said, he searched my car to make sure I wasn't carrying any illegal drugs or weapons. Wrote my ticket for a Civil Infraction 100/70 speeding ticket. A few days later I called to court to get the information about the ticket. She said it was 4 points and a $230 fine. I paid, and continued on. Yesterday, my mom called the insurance company and we were told that they would not insure me any longer because I had an 8 point reckless driving ticket.

Now, my question is, is it possible I could have been charged with reckless driving, even though there was never mention of it from the officer, on the ticket, or from the court? Not to mention, if i'm not mistaken, reckless driving is a misdemeanor, and I was only written for a civil infraction. I had a 5 over speeding ticket about 6-7 months ago, but no points were added, I simply paid the fine. Also, I am 18 years old.

If more information is needed, please let me know. Thank you in advance.

**A: you are in for it.

tfraser6

HomeGuru said:
**A: you are in for it.
I was looking for a bit more of a specific answer. "you are in for it" does not really help. Could you at least explain the reasoning ? Thank you in advance.

amadonna

Reckless in MI

Reckless driving in MI requires a mandatory appearance in court. If you were really charged with reckless, you should have to appear. However, your fine should only have been $185 (for 100 in a 70) and it should be 3 points (if it was an expressway).

If the ticket doesn't say reckless, you didn't get reckless. However, some insurance companies will decide that everything over 25 is considered reckless in their books and they will drop you just the same. Clarify this with insurance and go to the Secretary of State and request a copy of your driving record to make sure it didn't go on your license. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to call the courthouse of authorities where you were tagged and ask them to list everything on your ticket. Also, reckless driving is only 6 points, not 8.

Best of Luck!

tfraser6

amadonna said:
Reckless driving in MI requires a mandatory appearance in court. If you were really charged with reckless, you should have to appear. However, your fine should only have been $185 (for 100 in a 70) and it should be 3 points (if it was an expressway).

If the ticket doesn't say reckless, you didn't get reckless. However, some insurance companies will decide that everything over 25 is considered reckless in their books and they will drop you just the same. Clarify this with insurance and go to the Secretary of State and request a copy of your driving record to make sure it didn't go on your license. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to call the courthouse of authorities where you were tagged and ask them to list everything on your ticket. Also, reckless driving is only 6 points, not 8.

Best of Luck!
Thank you very much amadonna, very helpful information! I truly appreciate your help! :)

badcop25601

20 or over is automatically reckless in wv

not sure about the law there but in wv, 20 mph or over is automatically reckless driving...consult a drivers manual as they usually have it listed

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">