• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guru are you still here? I have a urgent ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LadyBlu

I am leasing 17 acres and have a creek (natural waterway that runs through the center of it) the people upstream from me (nextdoor) have dammed the water flow with dirt, made a halfass road going across.. (I should also mentionthis creek/waterway runs through the middle of several properties and was a selling point of the properties when the ranch land was subdivided)well with all the rain we have had this past two weeks and now are expecting more throughout the week, I am not feeling really safe.. the water flow is so strong that it sounds like niagara falls in my backyard.. Prior to the rain we have been getting the people that live downstream have been complaining of not having water running in the creek this year whereas years past there has always been water in it.
I have called the County Judge thta is the Flood Control manager for our county, and then last week called the DA, the DA is trying to get info for me from a real estate attorney in the area.
I need to see if you know if these statutes that I found under TX State Statutes Water Code Chapter11

§ 11.021. State Water

(a) The water of the ordinary flow, underflow, and tides of every flowing river, natural stream, and lake, and of every bay or arm of the Gulf of Mexico, and the storm water, floodwater, and rainwater of every river, natural stream, canyon, ravine, depression, and watershed in the state is the property of the state.

(b) Water imported from any source outside the boundaries of the state for use in the state and which is transported through the beds and banks of any navigable stream within the state or by utilizing any facilities owned or operated by the state is the property of the state.

Amended by Acts 1977, 65th Leg., p. 2207, ch. 870, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1977.

§ 11.022. Acquisition of Right to Use State Water

The right to the use of state water may be acquired by appropriation in the manner and for the purposes provided in this chapter. When the right to use state water is lawfully acquired, it may be taken or diverted from its natural channel.

§ 11.023. Purposes for Which Water May be Appropriated

(a) State water may be appropriated, stored, or diverted for:

(1) domestic and municipal uses, including water for sustaining human life and the life of domestic animals;

(2) industrial uses, meaning processes designed to convert materials of a lower order of value into forms having greater usability and commercial value, including the development of power by means other than hydroelectric;

(3) irrigation;

(4) mining and recovery of minerals;

(5) hydroelectric power;

(6) navigation;

(7) recreation and pleasure;

(8) stock raising;

(9) public parks; and

(10) game preserves.

(b) State water also may be appropriated, stored, or diverted for any other beneficial use.

(c) Unappropriated storm water and floodwater may be appropriated to recharge underground freshwater bearing sands and aquifers in the portion of the Edwards underground reservoir located within Kinney, Uvalde, Medina, Bexar, Comal, and Hays counties if it can be established by expert testimony that an unreasonable loss of state water will not occur and that the water can be withdrawn at a later time for application to a beneficial use. The normal or ordinary flow of a stream or watercourse may never be appropriated, diverted, or used by a permittee for this recharge purpose.

(d) When it is put or allowed to sink into the ground, water appropriated under Subsection (c) of this section loses its character and classification as storm water or floodwater and is considered percolating groundwater.

(e) The amount of water appropriated for each purpose mentioned in this section shall be specifically appropriated for that purpose, subject to the preferences prescribed in Section 11.024 of this code. The commission may authorize appropriation of a single amount or volume of water for more than one purpose of use. In the event that a single amount or volume of water is appropriated for more than one purpose of use, the total amount of water actually diverted for all of the authorized purposes may not exceed the total amount of water appropriated.

(f) The water of any arm, inlet, or bay of the Gulf of Mexico may be changed from salt water to sweet or fresh water and held or stored by dams, dikes, or other structures and may be taken or diverted for any purpose authorized by this chapter.

Amended by Acts 1977, 65th Leg., p. 2207, ch. 870, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1977; Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1010, § 2.03, eff. Sept. 1, 1997.

§ 11.034. Reservoir Site: Land and Rights-of-Way

An appropriator who is authorized to construct a dam or reservoir is granted the right-of-way, not to exceed 100 feet wide, and the necessary area for the site, over any public school land, university land, or asylum land of this state and the use of the rock, gravel, and timber on the site and right-of-way for construction purposes, after paying compensation as determined by the commission. An appropriator may acquire the reservoir site and rights-of-way over private land by contract.

§ 11.040. Permanent Water Right

(a) A permanent water right is an easement and passes with the title to land.

(b) A written instrument conveying a permanent water right may be recorded in the same manner as any other instrument relating to a conveyance of land.

(c) The owner of a permanent water right is entitled to use water according to the terms of his contract. If there is no contract, the owner is entitled to use water at a just, reasonable, and nondiscriminatory price.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=UPLPIIVLQKRV&CQ_QUERY_HANDLE=124000&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=3&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES

TX State Water Code Chapter 11

Would apply to my situation. I am leasing the house and property from a friend that works as a contractor in Kuwait and is wanting me to handle this for him since he wont be back to the states until Feb or March.

If you could reply with any advice I would appreciate it..

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LadyBlu:
I am leasing 17 acres and have a creek (natural waterway that runs through the center of it) the people upstream from me (nextdoor) have dammed the water flow with dirt, made a halfass road going across.. (I should also mentionthis creek/waterway runs through the middle of several properties and was a selling point of the properties when the ranch land was subdivided)well with all the rain we have had this past two weeks and now are expecting more throughout the week, I am not feeling really safe.. the water flow is so strong that it sounds like niagara falls in my backyard.. Prior to the rain we have been getting the people that live downstream have been complaining of not having water running in the creek this year whereas years past there has always been water in it.
I have called the County Judge thta is the Flood Control manager for our county, and then last week called the DA, the DA is trying to get info for me from a real estate attorney in the area.
I need to see if you know if these statutes that I found under TX State Statutes Water Code Chapter11

§ 11.021. State Water

(a) The water of the ordinary flow, underflow, and tides of every flowing river, natural stream, and lake, and of every bay or arm of the Gulf of Mexico, and the storm water, floodwater, and rainwater of every river, natural stream, canyon, ravine, depression, and watershed in the state is the property of the state.

(b) Water imported from any source outside the boundaries of the state for use in the state and which is transported through the beds and banks of any navigable stream within the state or by utilizing any facilities owned or operated by the state is the property of the state.

§ 11.022. Acquisition of Right to Use State Water

The right to the use of state water may be acquired by appropriation in the manner and for the purposes provided in this chapter. When the right to use state water is lawfully acquired, it may be taken or diverted from its natural channel.

§ 11.023. Purposes for Which Water May be Appropriated

(a) State water may be appropriated, stored, or diverted for:

(1) domestic and municipal uses, including water for sustaining human life and the life of domestic animals;

(2) industrial uses, meaning processes designed to convert materials of a lower order of value into forms having greater usability and commercial value, including the development of power by means other than hydroelectric;

(3) irrigation;

(4) mining and recovery of minerals;

(5) hydroelectric power;

(6) navigation;

(7) recreation and pleasure;

(8) stock raising;

(9) public parks; and

(10) game preserves.

(b) State water also may be appropriated, stored, or diverted for any other beneficial use.

(c) Unappropriated storm water and floodwater may be appropriated to recharge underground freshwater bearing sands and aquifers in the portion of the Edwards underground reservoir located within Kinney, Uvalde, Medina, Bexar, Comal, and Hays counties if it can be established by expert testimony that an unreasonable loss of state water will not occur and that the water can be withdrawn at a later time for application to a beneficial use. The normal or ordinary flow of a stream or watercourse may never be appropriated, diverted, or used by a permittee for this recharge purpose.

(d) When it is put or allowed to sink into the ground, water appropriated under Subsection (c) of this section loses its character and classification as storm water or floodwater and is considered percolating groundwater.

(e) The amount of water appropriated for each purpose mentioned in this section shall be specifically appropriated for that purpose, subject to the preferences prescribed in Section 11.024 of this code. The commission may authorize appropriation of a single amount or volume of water for more than one purpose of use. In the event that a single amount or volume of water is appropriated for more than one purpose of use, the total amount of water actually diverted for all of the authorized purposes may not exceed the total amount of water appropriated.

(f) The water of any arm, inlet, or bay of the Gulf of Mexico may be changed from salt water to sweet or fresh water and held or stored by dams, dikes, or other structures and may be taken or diverted for any purpose authorized by this chapter.

Amended by Acts 1977, 65th Leg., p. 2207, ch. 870, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1977; Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1010, § 2.03, eff. Sept. 1, 1997.

§ 11.034. Reservoir Site: Land and Rights-of-Way

An appropriator who is authorized to construct a dam or reservoir is granted the right-of-way, not to exceed 100 feet wide, and the necessary area for the site, over any public school land, university land, or asylum land of this state and the use of the rock, gravel, and timber on the site and right-of-way for construction purposes, after paying compensation as determined by the commission. An appropriator may acquire the reservoir site and rights-of-way over private land by contract.

§ 11.040. Permanent Water Right

(a) A permanent water right is an easement and passes with the title to land.

(b) A written instrument conveying a permanent water right may be recorded in the same manner as any other instrument relating to a conveyance of land.

(c) The owner of a permanent water right is entitled to use water according to the terms of his contract. If there is no contract, the owner is entitled to use water at a just, reasonable, and nondiscriminatory price.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cq cgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=UPLPIIVLQKRV&CQ_QUERY_HANDLE=124000&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=3&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES

TX State Water Code Chapter 11

Would apply to my situation. I am leasing the house and property from a friend that works as a contractor in Kuwait and is wanting me to handle this for him since he wont be back to the states until Feb or March.

If you could reply with any advice I would appreciate it..

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that would be applicable in a sense. There should also be a section in the real estate statutes that pertain to water rights. Check that out also. Those dam upstream neighbors.

L

LadyBlu

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
Yes, that would be applicable in a sense. There should also be a section in the real estate statutes that pertain to water rights. Check that out also. Those dam upstream neighbors.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank You Guru.. will bake you some frosted brownies tomorrow..

L

LadyBlu

Ok, I am lost.. I couldnt find anything under the Real Estate searches but under Water Code I did find something interesting... the Permit exemptions code:§ 11.142. Permit Exemptions

(a) Without obtaining a permit, a person may construct on his own property a dam or reservoir with normal storage of not more than 200 acre-feet of water for domestic and livestock purposes.

(b) Without obtaining a permit, a person who is drilling and producing petroleum and conducting operations associated with drilling and producing petroleum may take for those purposes state water from the Gulf of Mexico and adjacent bays and arms of the Gulf of Mexico in an amount not to exceed one acre-foot during each 24-hour period.

(c) Without obtaining a permit, a person may construct or maintain a reservoir for the sole purpose of sediment control as part of a surface coal mining operation under the Texas Surface Coal Mining and Reclamation Act (Article 5920–11, Vernon's Texas Civil Statutes).

Amended by Acts 1977, 65th Leg., p. 2207, ch. 870, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1977; Acts 1985, 69th Leg., ch. 718, § 1, eff. June 14, 1985; Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 335, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995; Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1010, § 2.11, eff. Sept. 1, 1997.

I should also mention the property upstream is only 5-7 acres, they have it divided up into 5, 8, 17 acre plats...
I am on the biggest plat within a mile of me..

The people upstream have no agriculture needs as they dont have anything growing, they just blocked the flow of water, and also they have no livestock that is in need of the water, whereas I have a horse and am wanting to fence in the back 12acres to put goats out there. So I need the water for livestock.
Not to mention the flood control problems..

L

LadyBlu

This dam server is as bad if not worse then my dam upstream neighbors... one stops the flow of water, the other stops the flow of words. Arrrrrggggggghhhhhhh

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LadyBlu:
Thank You Guru.. will bake you some frosted brownies tomorrow..

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh goodie, baked goods.

HomeGuru

This dam server is as bad if not worse then my dam upstream neighbors... one stops the flow of water, the other stops the flow of words. Arrrrrggggggghhhhhhh<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try doing a search using words riparian or riparian rights.

I

Invisible Blonde

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
Try doing a search using words riparian or riparian rights.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Home Guru...*S* it is me.. incognito...
My password keeps disappearing and kicking my nicks off the system...hopefully will be able to get my LadyBlu nick back tomorrow after I call Mike...
Anyways..
as for the riparian, it took me back to the Chapter 11 of the Water Code and led me to this little code:

§ 11.001. Vested Rights Not Affected

(a) Nothing in this code affects vested private rights to the use of water, except to the extent that provisions of Subchapter G of this chapter1 might affect these rights.

(b) This code does not recognize any riparian right in the owner of any land the title to which passed out of the State of Texas after July 1, 1895.

So ...if I am to read this right.. (it is late and I am very tired and now very ill to my stomach because of the Presidential results)
this means that the dam upstream neighbors dont have any water rights to dam the natural flow of the stream?
If they havent gotten a permit for the dam....
Sorry for being such a pain in the u know what.. *S*

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Invisible Blonde:
Hey Home Guru...*S* it is me.. incognito...
My password keeps disappearing and kicking my nicks off the system...hopefully will be able to get my LadyBlu nick back tomorrow after I call Mike...
Anyways..
as for the riparian, it took me back to the Chapter 11 of the Water Code and led me to this little code:

§ 11.001. Vested Rights Not Affected

(a) Nothing in this code affects vested private rights to the use of water, except to the extent that provisions of Subchapter G of this chapter1 might affect these rights.

(b) This code does not recognize any riparian right in the owner of any land the title to which passed out of the State of Texas after July 1, 1895.

So ...if I am to read this right.. (it is late and I am very tired and now very ill to my stomach because of the Presidential results)
this means that the dam upstream neighbors dont have any water rights to dam the natural flow of the stream?
If they havent gotten a permit for the dam....
Sorry for being such a pain in the u know what.. *S*

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LadyBlu, that is the way I interpret things also.
HomeGuru

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">