• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speed violation 111/55 Rhode Island

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

liquidjamm

What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

First of all, great site!

My situation is that I am 25 y/o, got caught speeding 111 mph @ 55 mph highway, during clear conditions, medium trafic;looked like construction zone. Memorial day weekend, I knew the highway pretty well, so can't blame anybody but myself.

Really trying to prepare myself for a court date,coming at the end of June. Maybe someone was in similar situation and can advise on whats going to happen if I plead guilty. From what I read on the net all I have left is to do that and hope that judge will consider my "good" driving record. Which is not perfect: one moving violation (small speeding :) was dismissed due to clean record 2 years ago and one moving (missed the stop sign) a year ago. It's not that I have disregard for the law it's just I messed up on this one really bad where as other two, well everyonoe does it type of thing.

How/where can I get a copy of driving record or check current standing of my driving license.

Just don't know what to expect in court. I know insurence will be high, but will they won't insure me, it may depend on the judge. Do you think I have a chance for a break if I dress nice? :) Jokes aside, if anyone here was in a similar situation your advice or a word of consideration is appreciated.

Regards,

Curt581

At that speed, you have little to no chance of getting any leniency. The objective conditions at the time will be irrelevant. Your driving record might be considered when the judge decides the penalty, but don't count on it having much impact. Triple digit speeds tend to negate clear records... which your is not.

You have two choices. You can plead Guilty or No Contest, and take whatever they give you, or you can plead Not Guilty, and take the case to trial.

liquidjamm

Thanks for your reply!
Well then it sucks to be me! :(
Do you know what sort of sentance I should expect from the judge. Or perhaps any links to statues (mine is 31-14 2) or anything I can read up on?

Also the question of getting a lawyer bothers me. But I guess I have to speak to one first, to find out what they can do for me. Well your suggestion is also welcomed.

You really need a lawyer to minimize the impact.

If you get to keep your licence, consider getting a beater that can't get above 80 to drive the next three years. Save the fast car for track or autocross.

liquidjamm

Prima facie

In my earlier post i mentiond that I think i was caught in the construction zone, but after reading about RI'' speed restrictions I found that there's a separate section for construction zone that was not mentioned on the ticket. Could that subject come up in court? I was breaking § 31-14-2 Prima facie limits. Not sure if that changes things.

BTW very useful link for information on different speed limits and laws:
http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/laws.html

regards,

TYRIS

liquidjamm said:
Well that's kind of scary. :eek:
You're saying my license may be suspended indefinitely?
Thanks for reply btw.

-It's highly doubtful that you would lose your license, but you're probably looking at a hefty fine.

The fact that you were in a construction could come up in court, but since the Officer did not cite you for that violation I doubt if it will have much impact overall regarding the fine.

You always have the option of talking to a lawyer and utilizing one in court.

My personal opinion and in my experience it would be better to save the money for the attorney and use for the fine. Go to court, dress nice (no jeans, t-shirt etc). if you plan on pleading guilty, try to get traffic school to keep it off your record.

Good luck

Tyris

liquidjamm

yeah, I strart reading up on some threads around here, and people amazed me. Come to think of it my state and Mass have the worst drivers in the country.

Well, I hope I won't get any suspension but I have to have some luck on my side. My speed can be considered reckless driving, in my state it's a mandatory license suspencion (at least 10 days)

Hey I better go dust out my Gucci suit!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">