• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 1/2 Years Later - Name Not Listed on Birth Certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmullen

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

I have a friend that was recently served with abandonment papers and is required to answer them within 20 days. The papers are extremely vague and do not state an intent. However, the papers do state that his name is not listed as the "Father" on the child's birth certificate. At the age of 14, he was involved with a girl that was 16. He was never informed that this girl was pregnant and the relationship did not last more than 2 months. It is now 16 1/2 years later. The woman has been married for the last 12 years and has 2 other children. Other than obtaining back child support, what would be the purpose of serving him after this length of time?

He is not opposed to DNA testing or paying child support but feels somewhat cheated that he was never informed of the possibilty that he has a child. If their intent is to obtain back support he is adamant about requesting the funds be placed in a trust fund for the child and available to only the child when they turn 21. He also would like visitation and an opportunity to get to know the child depending on the DNA results. What is the possibility of visitation as well as having the funds set aside for the child at the age of 21?

I am un familiar with the laws of Texas and my friend is overwhelmed by all of this.

Any advise is appreciated.

LdiJ

kmullen said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

I have a friend that was recently served with abandonment papers and is required to answer them within 20 days. The papers are extremely vague and do not state an intent. However, the papers do state that his name is not listed as the "Father" on the child's birth certificate. At the age of 14, he was involved with a girl that was 16. He was never informed that this girl was pregnant and the relationship did not last more than 2 months. It is now 16 1/2 years later. The woman has been married for the last 12 years and has 2 other children. Other than obtaining back child support, what would be the purpose of serving him after this length of time?

He is not opposed to DNA testing or paying child support but feels somewhat cheated that he was never informed of the possibilty that he has a child. If their intent is to obtain back support he is adamant about requesting the funds be placed in a trust fund for the child and available to only the child when they turn 21. He also would like visitation and an opportunity to get to know the child depending on the DNA results. What is the possibility of visitation as well as having the funds set aside for the child at the age of 21?

I am un familiar with the laws of Texas and my friend is overwhelmed by all of this.

Any advise is appreciated.
Abandonment would tend to indicate that the purpose of the suit is to terminate his parental rights....probably so that the stepfather can adopt the child. If the paperwork doesn't state that its a child support case, then its likely not. Paperwork for a child support case is extremely unlikely to be "vague".

He should probably get himself an attorney and let the attorney find out what is really going on. At that point he can decide how he wants to proceed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">