• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad Breaks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MiaCuppa

What is the name of your state? WI

A week ago I was in a car accident. I was trying to stop and my brakes didn't work so I ended up rear-ending another vehicle. I noticed a week before that my brakes were a little slow to respond but I didn't have a chance to take my car in yet. I told all of this to the officer that came on the scene and he wrote a ticket. I don't question the ticket because I was at fault but before this accident I had a perfect driving record. I have gotten the brakes fixed along with the other repairs needed after the crash. Do you think this will make the judge be more lenient with me? Possilby reduce my fee or number of points deducted? I'm really more worried about the points.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

One more thing. The other vehicle only had a few scratches on the bumper and no one was hurt. Thank goodness for small favors.

MiaCuppa

Thanks for your responses. I decided to not even wait for my court date and I just pled guilty and paid the fine. I did knowingly drive when I knew my brakes were slow to respond so I was not about to face the judge and pretend otherwise. My friends said it was dumb to plead guilty because if I would have pled not guilty or no contest the judge would have probably dropped it but I didn't think that was right. Thanks for your help anyway.

One more thing I don't think the D.A. shows up in Municipal for traffic issues. I've been told you just stand before a judge. I wouldn't know for sure because this was my first ticket ever and I didn't even end up going to court for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">